Area of the event horizon of a rotating black hole

The Kerr metric for a black hole of mass ##M## and angular momentum ##J = aM## is

$$ds^{2} = - \frac{\Delta(r)}{\rho^{2}}(dt-a\sin^{2}\theta d\phi)^{2} + \frac{\rho^{2}}{\Delta(r)}dr^{2} + \rho^{2} d\theta^{2} + \frac{1}{\rho^{2}}\sin^{2}\theta (adt - (r^{2}+a^{2}) d\phi)^{2},$$

where ##\Delta(r) = r^{2} + a^{2} - 2Mr##, ##\rho^{2} = r^{2} + a^{2} \cos^{2}\theta## and ##- M < a < M##.

The event horizon is at ##r_{+} = M + \sqrt{M^{2} - a^{2}}##. This is obtained by solving the equation ##\Delta(r) = 0##.

How do you use this to compute the area of the horizon?

My idea is to simplify the metric to obtain

$$ds^{2} = - \left( \frac{r^{2} + a^{2} - 2Mr - a^{2} \sin^{2}\theta}{r^{2} + a^{2} \cos^{2}\theta} \right) dt^{2} + \left( \frac{r^{2} + a^{2} \cos^{2}\theta}{r^{2} + a^{2} - 2Mr} \right) dr^{2} - \left( \frac{4aMr \sin^{2}\theta}{r^{2} + a^{2} \cos^{2}\theta} \right) dtd\phi + \left( r^{2} + a^{2} \cos^{2}\theta \right) d\theta^{2} + \sin^{2}\theta \left( \frac{(a^{2} + r^{2})^{2} - a^{2} \sin^{2}\theta (a^{2}-2Mr+r^{2}) }{r^{2} + a^{2} \cos^{2}\theta} \right) d\phi^{2}.$$

Then, I think that the area of the horizon is given by

$$A = \int d\theta\ d\phi\ g_{\phi\phi}g_{\theta\theta}|_{r=r_{+}}.$$

Am I wrong?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
My idea is to simplify the metric
You don't need to go through that step. Just evaluate the original metric for the case ##dt = dr = 0## and ##r = r_+##, and integrate over ##\theta## and ##\phi##.