1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arithmetic mean Fermi Dirac & Bose Einstein

1. Apr 29, 2015 #1
    Hi everybody, I was doing one asignment form class, I was tasked to prove that in one system, the arimetic mean of FD and BE distributions is equal to MB's distribution for undishtingable particles.
    After doing the numbers I found out that it actually was, but I don't know why this happens, can someone explain this to me or point me to a place where I can learn that?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2015 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I think this is a demonstration that the quantum mechanical averaged values behave classically.
    Mind that the classical analogue of the Bose Einstein/Fermi Dirac distributions is the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution (give the number density as a function of the energy of the system).

4. Apr 29, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

For all temperatures? That would surprise me. Fermi-Dirac includes particles at an energy way above the energies Maxwell-Boltzmann at low temperatures would give, and I don't see how MB would reproduce the step coming from Fermi-Dirac at the Fermi energy.

5. May 2, 2015 #4
    Well, to be honest I have not advanced that much in theory lessons. All I know is that I have a system with two particles and three possible enrgies for them and I had to study the partiton function for each of the three distributions, I checked that the math were right and saw that it acturally worked so I asked the quastion.

By the way thank you very much for your anwsers.

6. May 2, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Ah, for only two particles it might look different.
    I'm not convinced that it works out for all temperatures, however. In the limit of large temperature: sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook