Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Armature and field winding of Generator

1. Jul 11, 2015 #1
    why can we make both armature winding and field winding as a rotor?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2015 #2

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

Question makes little sense to me.

4. Jul 11, 2015 #3
    You can.

But why?

I suppose contra-rotating armatures would look cool for a Hollywood sci-fi FX.

5. Jul 13, 2015 #4
    Do you mean, the poles on the rotor and the armature on the stator? This is a synchronous generator. You need a rectifier in order to get d.c.

Or do you mean double-rotor d.c. generator ?However this is a synchronous generator too.

See-for instance-

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/251971296_A_constant-frequency_double-rotor_generator_for_wind_power_application [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Jul 13, 2015 #5

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the OP is asking about building the generator inside out. With the field winding on the stator and the armature on the rotor.

Yes, that will work. Either arrangement produces the same relative motion.

However it will, be very difficult to transfer large amounts of power to or from the rotor, via slip rings or commutators. Typically, power to the field is much less than power to/from the armature.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  7. Jul 13, 2015 #6

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, I can imagine a highly contrived application.

Consider a forge making cannon barrels. A mandrel penetrates the barrel while forging hammers pound the outside, and the whole thing rotates. We could make a resistance heater for the mandrel powered by the armature of a generator also part of the rotating mandrel. The field winding would be on tha stator.

The key feature is that the load power is consumed on the rotating part. Other examples are hard to think of.

8. Jul 13, 2015 #7
    No both the winding are rotating. i.e there is no stator part

9. Jul 13, 2015 #8

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As long as they have rotary motion relative to each other, what I said in post #5 applies. It can work as a generator or a motor, but if you need to transfer large powers to non-rotating circuits, it will be difficult.

10. Jul 13, 2015 #9

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

Automotive generators from days gone by always had the rotor as the winding that supplied the actual charging current. This is what you referred to right? Admittedly they could not come close to competing with modern alternators.

11. Jul 14, 2015 #10
    No I'm asking for double rotor generator.

12. Jul 14, 2015 #11
    There was an aircraft engine where the pistons rotated back in the early days of flight. I'm not sure why, possibly cooling?

Perhaps rotating both windings could save copper by increasing the cooling potential?

I can think of better solutions. We don't see many rotating pistons anymore.

13. Jul 14, 2015 #12

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

The rotary engines that had the whole block that turned and the crank stationary had no vibration due to reciprocating parts. They could turn easilyin one direction but had to make very wide turns in the opposite direction.

14. Jul 14, 2015 #13

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook