1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arr Lin. algebra problem (frustrating)

1. Mar 26, 2006 #1
    the question asks;
    Consider the following matrices. What is the corresponding transfrmation on polynomials? Indicate the domain P_i and the codomain p_j
    The matrix is: [1,1;1,-1]
    I looked at the sol. manual and it states
    T(ax+b)=(a+b)x+(a-b)
    I seriously have no idea how they came up with that. I read the section and i don't see any examples on how to do it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2006 #2
    Given an arbitrary polynomial [itex]ax+b \epsilon P_1(\mathbb{R})[/itex], what is its coordinate vector with respect to the standard ordered basis for [itex]P_1(\mathbb{R})[/itex]?

What is the result when you multiply this coordinate vector (on the left) by your matrix?

What is the element of [itex]P_1(\mathbb{R})[/itex] that corresponds to this result?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  4. Mar 26, 2006 #3
    the first line should be [itex]ax+b \ \epsilon \ P_1(\mathbb{R})[/itex]. For some reason the symbol [itex]\epsilon[/itex] isn't showing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?