Arrangement of circuit affecting resistance measured

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem involving a voltmeter and an ammeter. The first image shows the problem statement, while the second image shows the student's interpretation and working. The third image provides the answer, but the student does not understand it and asks for clarification. The conversation also mentions the possibility of the voltmeter being ideal or not, and how it affects the calculation of resistance. The question is raised whether there is additional information in part (a) that is not shown in the image. Finally, two possible answers for Q (b)(I)(1) are mentioned, one involving the finite resistance of the ammeter and the other involving the internal resistance of the battery.
coconut62

Homework Statement

Please refer to the images.

First image-question
Second image-my interpretation/working.
Third image-the answer given.

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

In the second image

--------------------------------------------
I really don't understand what does the answer mean.
I assumed the first half of the answer is referring to circuit A, but still it doesn't seem to make sense.

Someone please explain to me why my working is wrong, thanks.

Attachments

• 1184879_10151708403112830_561668463_n.jpg
    1184879_10151708403112830_561668463_n.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 407
  • 1239605_10151708403007830_1537979619_n.jpg
    1239605_10151708403007830_1537979619_n.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 350
  • 1175443_10151708403327830_1720628256_n.jpg
    1175443_10151708403327830_1720628256_n.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 367
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't follow the book answer either. Is there any other info in part (a) not shown in the image? eg anything that allows us to assume the voltmeter is ideal or at least can be assumed to be ideal.

Do you have two answers for Q (b)(I)(1) ?

Student A will calculate a value of about 3.87 Ohms if he assumes both meters are ideal. I don't think there is enough info for him to calculate any other answer unless it's in part (a).

Question (b)(iii). There are two possibilities...

If the volt meter is ideal then both students will measure roughly the same current. Student B will calculate a value of 6/1.5 = 4 Ohms.

If the voltmeter is not ideal then Student B will measure a lower current than Student A. This will lead him to calculate an even higher value for the resistance.

So regardless of the quality of the volt meter (ideal or not) student B will calculate a higher value for the resistance of the lamp.

I don't see how the statement "Potential Difference measured by B is lower than expected" can ever be true. He's measuring the highest voltage in the circuit (6V) so how can a higher voltage ever be "expected"?

CWatters said:
Is there any other info in part (a) not shown in the image? eg anything that allows us to assume the voltmeter is ideal or at least can be assumed to be ideal.
Please see image attached.

CWatters said:
Do you have two answers for Q (b)(I)(1) ?
Yes. 1. Ammeter has finite resistance. 2. Internal resistance of the battery.

Attachments

• 1176363_10151708640172830_484733132_n.jpg
    1176363_10151708640172830_484733132_n.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 345

What is resistance in a circuit and how is it measured?

Resistance is the property of a material that opposes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is determined by the material, shape, and size of the conductor. Resistance can be measured using a multimeter by connecting the leads to the ends of the conductor and reading the resistance value displayed.

How does the arrangement of a circuit affect the resistance measured?

The arrangement of a circuit can affect the resistance measured in several ways. For example, adding resistors in series increases the overall resistance, while adding them in parallel decreases it. The length and thickness of the conductor also affect resistance, as well as the type of material used.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits in terms of resistance?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, meaning the current has only one path to flow through. This results in the total resistance being the sum of the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, multiple branches are created, allowing the current to split and flow through different paths. This results in a lower total resistance compared to a series circuit.

How do different materials affect the resistance measured in a circuit?

Different materials have different resistivities, which is a measure of how well a material resists the flow of current. Materials with higher resistivities, such as rubber or glass, have higher resistance compared to materials with lower resistivities, such as copper or aluminum. This is why conductors are typically made of materials with low resistivities to allow for efficient flow of current.

What is the significance of resistance in a circuit?

Resistance plays a crucial role in circuits as it helps regulate the flow of current. It also determines the amount of voltage needed to produce a certain amount of current, according to Ohm's law (V=IR). Resistance also helps protect components in a circuit from being overloaded by limiting the current flow. In some cases, resistance is deliberately added to a circuit to achieve a specific function, such as in a voltage divider circuit.