Arrangement of eigenvalues in a Diagonal matrix

In summary, the conversation is discussing whether it is necessary to arrange eigenvalues in increasing value order. It is mentioned that arranging them in different orders will result in different matrices and there is no one correct order.
coconut62

Homework Statement

Is it necessary to arrange the eigenvalues in increasing value order?

As shown in the image attached, if I arrange my eigenvalues -2, -1, 1 diagonally, my D would be
2^8 , 1, 1 diagonally.

However if i arrange it as, say, -1, 1, -2, my D would be different.

Just want to make sure of it, thanks.

Attachments

• 1497694_10151999292832830_762180400_n.jpg
    1497694_10151999292832830_762180400_n.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
coconut62 said:

Homework Statement

Is it necessary to arrange the eigenvalues in increasing value order?

As shown in the image attached, if I arrange my eigenvalues -2, -1, 1 diagonally, my D would be
2^8 , 1, 1 diagonally.

However if i arrange it as, say, -1, 1, -2, my D would be different.

Just want to make sure of it, thanks.

Good work. Yes, there is more than one matrix P that will diagonalize A. You can arrange the eigenvectors in P in a different order and get the eigenvalues in a different order along the diagonal. I don't think anyone order is more correct than another.

1. What is a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix is a square matrix in which all the elements outside of the main diagonal are equal to zero. The main diagonal refers to the elements that run from the top left to the bottom right of the matrix.

2. How are eigenvalues arranged in a diagonal matrix?

In a diagonal matrix, the eigenvalues are arranged along the main diagonal from top left to bottom right. This means that the first eigenvalue corresponds to the top left element, the second eigenvalue corresponds to the second element on the diagonal, and so on.

3. Are all diagonal matrices considered to be square matrices?

Yes, all diagonal matrices are square matrices because they have an equal number of rows and columns. This is a necessary condition for a matrix to be considered diagonal.

4. Can a diagonal matrix have non-zero elements outside of the main diagonal?

No, a diagonal matrix, by definition, has all zero elements outside of the main diagonal. If a matrix has non-zero elements outside of the main diagonal, it is not considered to be a diagonal matrix.

5. What is the significance of a diagonal matrix in linear algebra?

A diagonal matrix is significant in linear algebra because it represents a transformation that stretches or compresses the axes of a vector space. It is also useful in solving systems of linear equations and in calculating the determinant and inverse of a matrix.