Why can't we define an eigenvalue of a matrix as any scalar value?

In summary, the reason why we cannot say λ=1 and then 1 would be the eigenvalue of the matrix is because the column vector must be the same on both sides of the equation for it to be an eigenvalue/eigenvector pair. In the given example, the column vector on the right is not equal to the constant on the left, making 1 not a valid eigenvalue.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1682737134968.png

Dose anybody please know why we cannot say ##\lambda = 1## and then ##1## would be the eigenvalue of the matrix?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The result of the multiplication is ##\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 5 \end{bmatrix}##, not ##\begin{bmatrix} \lambda \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}##, so it doesn't matter what the value of ##\lambda## is.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
Dose anybody please know why we cannot say λ=1 and then 1 would be the eigenvalue of the matrix?
"Dose" -- an amount of medicine.
"Does" -- third person singular conjugation of the infinitive verb "to do."

An eigenvalue ##\lambda## is a number such that for an eigenvector x, ##A\mathbf x = \lambda \mathbf x##.

For the matrix you asked about ##\begin{bmatrix}1 & 6 \\ 5 & 2\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\5 \end{bmatrix} \ne \lambda \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}## for any value of ##\lambda##.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Thank you for your replies @FactChecker and @Mark44!

Sorry I still don't I understand. I'll try to explain what my understanding is so that any misconception can be exposed. ##\lambda## is the constant in front that is factor out of the column vector ##\vec x## which is called the eigenvalue. For examples 1 and 2 below, the constant multiplied to the column vector is ##\lambda = 7 , -4## respectively.
1682746269493.png

However, for this example,

##\begin{bmatrix}1 & 6 \\ 5 & 2\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\5 \end{bmatrix}##, why can't we factor out a 1 from the column vector to get ##\begin{bmatrix}1 & 6 \\ 5 & 2\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} = 1 \begin{bmatrix}1 \\5 \end{bmatrix}##.

According to the textbook, ##\lambda## can be any real number, so why can't ##1## be an eigenvalue?

Many thanks!

Mark44 said:
An eigenvalue ##\lambda## is a number such that for an eigenvector x, ##A\mathbf x = \lambda \mathbf x##.
You didn't read what I wrote in my previous post carefully enough. An eigenvalue is closely associated with a specific eigenvector. In the equation above, x is an eigenvector that appears on both sides of the equation. For an eigenvalue/eigenvector pair, multiplication of the vector by the matrix produces a value that is a scalar multiple (i.e., the eigenvalue) of that same vector.
ChiralSuperfields said:
However, for this example,
##\begin{bmatrix}1 & 6 \\ 5 & 2\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\5 \end{bmatrix}##, why can't we factor out a 1 from the column vector to get ##\begin{bmatrix}1 & 6 \\ 5 & 2\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} = 1 \begin{bmatrix}1 \\5 \end{bmatrix}##.
Because ##\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}## isn't the vector that appears on both sides of the equation.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Mark44 said:
You didn't read what I wrote in my previous post carefully enough. An eigenvalue is closely associated with a specific eigenvector. In the equation above, x is an eigenvector that appears on both sides of the equation. For an eigenvalue/eigenvector pair, multiplication of the vector by the matrix produces a value that is a scalar multiple (i.e., the eigenvalue) of that same vector.

Because ##\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}## isn't the vector that appears on both sides of the equation.
Oh, thank you @Mark44! I see now. Sorry I forgot that the column vector has to be on both sides.

1. Why can't we define an eigenvalue of a matrix as any scalar value?

The definition of an eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents a special set of values for a matrix. It is not possible to define any scalar value as an eigenvalue because it must meet certain criteria and have specific properties.

2. What criteria must a scalar value meet to be considered an eigenvalue?

A scalar value must meet two criteria to be considered an eigenvalue: it must be a solution to the characteristic equation of the matrix, and it must have a corresponding eigenvector that satisfies the equation Ax = λx, where A is the matrix and λ is the scalar value.

3. Why must a scalar value have a corresponding eigenvector to be considered an eigenvalue?

Eigenvectors are an essential part of the definition of eigenvalues because they represent the direction in which the matrix acts. Without a corresponding eigenvector, the scalar value does not have a clear meaning in the context of the matrix.

4. Can a matrix have more than one eigenvalue?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple eigenvalues. In fact, most matrices have multiple eigenvalues, with the exception of zero matrices which have no eigenvalues, and identity matrices which have only one eigenvalue.

5. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors used in practical applications?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to analyze and solve systems of differential equations, perform data compression and dimensionality reduction, and in image and signal processing. They also have applications in quantum mechanics, where they are used to describe the state of a quantum system.