Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arrangement of shapes in an area

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I'm trying to research a method or algorithm to determine how to best fit a couple of diferent shapes into a given area.

Type of area: Rectangular
    Types of shapes: Rectangles, Triangles, Circles

Where I work at we have to figure out how to best arrange the shapes we need into a steel metal plague (10ft x 15ft for example) in order to require the least ammount of plaques so we can give the customes a lower price overall.

I've tried my luck with google but I can't quite pinpoint the correct search criteria for this.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.:smile:

EDIT: BTW, if this topic belongs to another section please direct me to it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2011 #2

gb7nash

Homework Helper

This is pretty well-known problem. It's also a very difficult problem. The one I usually hear about is how to fit disks of a certain size inside of a square so that you maximize the area. There's plenty of naive algorithms to fit disks into a square(most likely won't obtain an optimal solution), but as far as maximizing your area, it's hard to do.

4. Aug 4, 2011 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook