Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Array of magnets around a sphere

1. Jan 19, 2014 #1
    An array of N magnets which can turn freely about their centers in any direction in 3d space is distributed uniformly around a spherical surface (their centers). What is the configuration of equilibrium of the system after some time? (minimum energy)

Do you know of any work showing that?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2014 #2
    How much 'uniformly' do you mean? You know, N discrete magnets cannot be in a uniform distribution.

What are the exact locations of the magnets? To get quantitative result, we need more specific information than just that they are on a sphere. I think I can get some numerical solutions once I have an idea about the initial conditions.

4. Jan 24, 2014 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not possible to make a spherical magnet with one pole inside and the other outside. If you try you won't get the result you might hope for.

5. Jan 24, 2014 #4
  6. Jan 28, 2014 #5
    Thanks for your reply, j824h. I was thinking of points belonging to a cubic lattice nearest to a spherical surface of integer radius.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook