Array of magnets around a sphere

• Thread starter intervoxel
  • Start date
An array of N magnets which can turn freely about their centers in any direction in 3d space is distributed uniformly around a spherical surface (their centers). What is the configuration of equilibrium of the system after some time? (minimum energy)

Do you know of any work showing that?

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

How much 'uniformly' do you mean? You know, N discrete magnets cannot be in a uniform distribution.

What are the exact locations of the magnets? To get quantitative result, we need more specific information than just that they are on a sphere. I think I can get some numerical solutions once I have an idea about the initial conditions.

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
It's not possible to make a spherical magnet with one pole inside and the other outside. If you try you won't get the result you might hope for.

Likes 1 person
How much 'uniformly' do you mean? You know, N discrete magnets cannot be in a uniform distribution.

What are the exact locations of the magnets? To get quantitative result, we need more specific information than just that they are on a sphere. I think I can get some numerical solutions once I have an idea about the initial conditions.

Thanks for your reply, j824h. I was thinking of points belonging to a cubic lattice nearest to a spherical surface of integer radius.

Last edited: