1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arthur Mattuck, Introduction to Analysis, Problem 5-7

1. Oct 5, 2007 #1

This question is from Arthur Mattuck's "Introduction to Analysis", chapter 5, problem 5-7.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Define a sequence recursively by [tex]a_{n+1}=\sqrt{2a_{n}}[/tex], [tex]a_{0}>0[/tex].

(a) Prove that for any choice of [tex]a_{0}>0[/tex], the sequence is monotone and bounded.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've rewritten the sequence as

[tex]a_n = \sqrt{2{\sqrt{2\sqrt{2\sqrt{2...\sqrt{2a_0}}}}}[/tex],

and taken the ratio of [tex]a_{n+1}[/tex] and [tex]a_{n}[/tex], which leads me to the expression

[tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = 2^{(1/2)^{n+1}}\sqrt{a_0}[/tex].

From computing the sequence for a few initial values of [tex]a_0[/tex], I've been able to determine that the sequence is decreasing if [tex]a_0>2[/tex] and increasing if [tex]0<a_0<2[/tex]. However, I'm not sure how to show this from this ratio, i.e. how does

which indicates that the sequence is decreasing, turn into [tex]a_0>2[/tex]?

The rest of the problem comes easy enough. I'm able to show that it is bounded and that the limit is 2 (in part b of the question).
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are making this too complicated. Proving a_(n+1)>a_n translates into sqrt(2*a_n)>a_n. For what range of x is it true that sqrt(2x)>x.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?