As a physicist, should I boder about mathematics proofs/demonstrations

In summary: It's an important skill to have as a theoretical physicist, as it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. In summary, as an aspiring theoretical physicist, it is important to have a strong understanding of mathematics, including proofs and demonstrations. While proofs may not be necessary for all discoveries, having an intuitive understanding and proficiency in proof writing can greatly benefit a theoretical physicist. It is recommended to take a course or self-study to improve proof writing skills.
MadAtom
As an aspiring theretical physiciat, besides the general concept and its applications, as well as proficiency at dealing with a certain mathematical ''thing'' (identities, properties, theorems, techniques...) should I focus too on the demonstrations, proofs or I just have to take them from granted and apply them like tools?

Physics news on Phys.org
You never have to take anything for granted. If you don't want to take something for granted then you can very well learn the relevant mathematics from a math text and see all the proofs. You should never take something for granted if you don't want to.

Hi MadAtom! :smile:
MadAtom said:
As an aspiring theoretical physicist …

As a theoretical physicist, if you want to make any new discoveries then yes you need to know what's possible, so you need to understand all those pernickety conditions at the start of maths proofs, and why they're necessary.

(of course, if you only want to make old discoveries … like people who try to predict the past … then it doesn't matter! :wink:)

MadAtom said:
As a physicist, should I boder about mathematics proofs/demonstrations

Uh ... you might want to "boder" a bit about English, else you're going to have problems writing papers.

WannabeNewton said:
You never have to take anything for granted.

I always feel bad about myself when I do it... Thank you all.

phinds said:
Uh ... you might want to "boder" a bit about English, else you're going to have problems writing papers.

Sorry for that. English is not my main language...

That's OK. We thought you might have a cold.

you don't need to bother too much about all of them but you need to atleast know how to prove them if you have to. having some kind of intuitive feel for how something can be proved or why something should be true also helps.

I think basic proficiency in proof writing is a great skill to have for a theoretical physicist. You probably won't be doing many proofs in advanced theoretical physics, but things can get quite mathy and I can't imagine proceeding very far with a good understanding unless one has a good amount of "mathematical maturity", which proof-writing courses develop. Of course proofs and mathematical maturity are extremely important (from what I can tell) if you want to be doing stuff at the fence of math and physics, such as rigorous quantum field theory and the more mathy parts of string theory.

For an intermediate approach, I recommend the book "Gauge Fields, Gravity and Knots" by Baez.

Proofs rarely come easy for anyone. In the beginning, you should just make sure you follow the logic. You've taken geometry, right? Did you understand those proofs?

MadAtom said:
Sorry for that. English is not my main language...

Well, your English is WAY better than my ability to speak your language :smile:

lisab said:
Proofs rarely come easy for anyone. In the beginning, you should just make sure you follow the logic. You've taken geometry, right? Did you understand those proofs?

Actualy my Linear Algebra and Analytical Geometry course wasn't proof based. Is that a big problem?

MadAtom said:
Actualy my Linear Algebra and Analytical Geometry course wasn't proof based. Is that a big problem?

I don't think it's a "big" problem, but if you want to rigorously learn mathematics, then you'll need to spend a lot of time becoming comfortable with understanding and writing proofs. If there is a course at your institution that gives an introduction to proof writing, it would be a good place to start. There are also a few books available on the internet that cover the basics.

1. Should I prioritize learning mathematics proofs and demonstrations as a physicist?

Yes, as a physicist, having a strong understanding of mathematical proofs and demonstrations is crucial. These skills are necessary for understanding and applying complex mathematical concepts that are fundamental to the study of physics.

2. How will understanding mathematics proofs and demonstrations benefit me as a physicist?

Understanding mathematical proofs and demonstrations will allow you to have a deeper understanding of the principles and theories of physics. This will also improve your problem-solving skills and enable you to communicate your ideas and findings more effectively.

3. Can I rely on others to understand and use mathematics proofs and demonstrations in my research as a physicist?

While collaborating with others can be helpful, it is important for a physicist to have a strong understanding of mathematics proofs and demonstrations themselves. This will allow you to critically evaluate and verify the work of others, as well as come up with your own solutions to complex problems.

4. Is it necessary to have advanced knowledge of mathematics to understand proofs and demonstrations?

While having advanced knowledge of mathematics can certainly be beneficial, it is not always necessary. As a physicist, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, but you can continue to build upon this knowledge as you encounter more complex proofs and demonstrations in your research.

5. How can I improve my understanding of mathematics proofs and demonstrations as a physicist?

The best way to improve your understanding of mathematics proofs and demonstrations is through practice and seeking out additional resources. Practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with different types of proofs and demonstrations. You can also seek out textbooks, online courses, and tutorials to supplement your learning.