Asking for Op Amp recommendations

In summary, the author is looking for a commonly available op amp that meets the following criteria: rail-to-rail capable, single or dual supply, can source or sink about 20 mA, has internal protection for common-mode input voltage beyond supply voltages and differential input voltage beyond supply voltages. He has found some candidates, but is still looking for a "holy grail" op amp.
Loudhvx
Hi all,
I realize I'm asking for the world here, but google hasn't been very helpful. I've found a few candidates with some/most of what I need, but wondering if there is some holy grail op amp out there that everyone is using. I'm growing tired of making work-arounds for the LM324's I have laying around.

I'm looking for a commonly available op amp (or multi opamp package), 8-pin to 14-pin dip with the following attributes.

Rail-to-rail capable.
Single supply or dual supply.
Can source or sink about 20 mA.
Has internal protection for common-mode input voltage beyond supply voltages.
Has internal protection for differential input voltage beyond supply voltages.
(And the usual, internal, ESD protection.)
Output does not exhibit phase reversal when inputs are beyond supply ranges.
Preferrably robust for harsh environments and not requiring a lot of anti-ESD precautions during handling.

I don't need very high freq capability, probably audio range or even slightly less.

I just find my projects are always limited on space, hence the internal protection components would be nice. It usually ends up in automotive type environments.

One thing I haven't found, so am wondering if it even exists, is internal protection for input voltages where the protection doesn't greatly affect the input impedance. I realize this feature might be physically impossible, but in case there is some magic op amp out there, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks, that is a handy little page indeed.

In addition to the Linear Technology link, have a look at the Maxim website (www.maxim-ic.com) and at TI's website. They will have product selector features that will help you home in on some good candidates. Then use Digikey's website to check pricing and availablity.

BTW, I don't think you will find much beyond basic IC ESD protection in opamps. They are not usually exposed to an external human-contact environment like transceiver chips are.

You might look at the LMC6041 (LMC6041AIM/NOPB). It is almost an "ideal" op-amp for under $2.00. I've found them very useful for high impedance circuits and where rail-to-rail operation is desired. Check: http://www.ti.com/product/lmc6041

Thanks again,
I did find a Maxim product line with almost exactly the internal protections I was looking for, but unfortunately, the line is also "Micropower" which means very low output (less than 1mA). It also only handles 5v as the supply. But it makes me hopeful something is out there with this type of, what Maxim calls, "Beyond-the-rails" input operation.

The LMC6041 looks pretty good too, (albeit, without protection for inputs "beyond-the-rails"). But rail-to-rail, and 18 mA output, still makes it useful to me for other projects.

I thought I found it with this one, but realized I needed a faster slew rate than I first thought (for the current project). I probably need more like .5v/usec. This one is .07v/usec.
http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/14901afd.pdf
Everything else about it sounds good.

Well, after going through quite a few data sheets I ordered some LM6142's. Turns out, the hardest feature to get, anymore, is the 8-pin dip footprint. Making stuff at home is only going to get more difficult, apparently. But Digikey still had some 8pin dip versions in stock.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/snos726d/snos726d.pdf

I had to give up on some of the internal input protection features but otherwise it looks pretty good.

What is an Op Amp?

An operational amplifier (Op Amp) is an electronic device that amplifies an input signal to a higher output signal. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to perform mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, and differentiation.

Why would I need to ask for Op Amp recommendations?

Op Amps come in a variety of types and specifications, and choosing the right one for a specific application can be challenging. Asking for recommendations from experts or online forums can help narrow down the options and ensure the best choice for your project.

What factors should I consider when asking for Op Amp recommendations?

Some important factors to consider when asking for Op Amp recommendations include the required gain, bandwidth, input and output impedance, power supply requirements, and cost. It is also essential to provide information about the specific application and any other components that will be used in the circuit.

Where can I ask for Op Amp recommendations?

There are several resources where you can ask for Op Amp recommendations, including online forums, manufacturer websites, and technical support hotlines. It is also helpful to consult with colleagues or experts in the field.

What should I do after receiving Op Amp recommendations?

After receiving recommendations, it is important to research and compare the suggested Op Amps based on the factors discussed. It may also be beneficial to test different Op Amps in the intended circuit to determine the best fit. Additionally, it is crucial to carefully follow the manufacturer's datasheets and guidelines for proper usage and performance.