Eval op amp achieves +/- power from single power supply?

In summary, the device is able to receive a differential voltage of +/- from a single power supply. Normally, to get this, you would need to short the negative to ground on one side of a dual power supply, and short the positive on the other side of a power supply. However, by wiring the evaluation module up just using one side of a power supply, the differential amplifier still worked as expected.
Helmholtzerton
Picture for reference is below.

I'm confused as to how this is able to receive a differential voltage of +/- from a single power supply. (Yes, I know the picture says dual power supply.)

Normally I have to short the negative to ground on one side of a dual power supply, and short the positive on the other side of a power supply in order to get a +/- Vpower to an op amp.

I actually wired up this evaluation module with just using one side of a power supply and it worked. There were no rails on either side.

Looking at the circuit board: http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slou148/slou148.pdf

I'm not entirely sure how it is able to do this, or how the circuit would look.
Circuit Question.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
The little photo in your attachment that represents a power supply of some type does not really mean anything. It SAYS "Dual Power Supply". But how would it be drawn on a schematic if it were a battery or several batteries? If you don't know, then you cannot know whether your op-amp can work or not and cannot expect any predictable results.

Helmholtzerton said:
I actually wired up this evaluation module with just using one side of a power supply and it worked.
Are you saying you connected the board to your power supply but omitted the blue connection, and found the differential amplifier on the board still operated as normal under every test you devised?

NascentOxygen said:
Are you saying you connected the board to your power supply but omitted the blue connection, and found the differential amplifier on the board still operated as normal under every test you devised?

All the connections where made, however the op amp could not handle much of an offset.

Then when I hooked up in dual mode the op amp operated as expected when applying a large offset on one signal.

Helmholtzerton said:
I actually wired up this evaluation module with just using one side of a power supply and it worked. There were no rails on either side.
I'm not sure that I understood this part.

Anyway, the '+' and '-' are not fixed for an opamp. All it requires is that the input signals should be higher than '-' and lower than '+' by a specified margin. If this fits, then it'll work and produce an output voltage higher than '-' and lower than '+'.

There are opamps which will work even from 3.3V (without any negative power supply) perfectly, without any hitch.

There also may be input protection diodes or another path from the input to the supply rails. You will essentially be powering the device from the input signal. This will give very poor results as the load on your input will not be constant and your power supply will also not be constant and generally below the peaks of your signal. Check for major distortion on your output.

BoB

1. How does an eval op amp achieve +/- power from a single power supply?

An eval op amp, short for evaluation operational amplifier, uses an internal circuit called a charge pump to generate a negative voltage from the positive supply voltage. This allows the op amp to operate with both positive and negative voltages, effectively achieving a dual power supply from a single supply.

2. What are the benefits of using an eval op amp with a single power supply?

Using a single power supply for an eval op amp reduces the overall cost and complexity of the circuit. It also allows for easier design and integration into systems that only have a single power supply available.

3. Can any op amp be used as an eval op amp?

No, not all op amps have the necessary internal circuitry to generate a negative voltage from a single power supply. Eval op amps are specifically designed for this purpose and have the charge pump circuit built in.

4. Are there any limitations to using an eval op amp with a single power supply?

One limitation is that the output voltage range is limited by the single supply voltage. Another limitation is that the op amp may have slightly lower performance compared to using a dual power supply.

5. How do I choose an eval op amp for my application?

When selecting an eval op amp, consider the required supply voltage, input and output voltage ranges, and desired performance specifications. It is also important to ensure that the op amp is suitable for the specific application and circuit requirements.