Assumptions for derivation of Plancks' law

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Messages
5,774
Reaction score
174
What are the most general assumoptions for the derivation of Planck's law in quantum statistical mechanics:
- thermodynamical equilibrium
- non-interacting bose gas (photons)

Do I miss anything?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
unusualname said:
you need to impose a discretization condition

...

edit: you may have meant this by "bose gas" ...
yes, that's what I meant; thanks

are there examples for "fermionic radiation"? what about the neutrino spectrum from the sun? (OK, there's the problem that the neutrinos are not in equilibrium, but what would happen if they were? is there a similar derivation for a non-interacting fermi gas in thermodynamic equilibrium with fermionic radiation?)
 
I guess that would require fermi-dirac statistics, but I don't know much about specific applications to neutrinos or other non-interacting fermion situations - probably worth a search in academic archives.