[Astro] Proton-Proton Chain Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energy released in the Proton-Proton chain reactions by calculating the mass deficit. The first reaction poses a challenge due to the leftover electron not being accounted for in the atomic masses, but this is resolved by factoring in the atomic mass of the electron. The final result matches the online value of 0.42 MeV.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

Find the energy released for the reactions in the Proton-Proton chain.

Homework Equations

Proton-Proton Chain:
1H + 1H -> 2H + e+ + v
e+ + e- -> γ + γ
2H + 1H -> 3He + γ
3He + 3He -> 4He + 2 1H

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the energy released in each of these reactions, I am calculating the mass deficit.

For the first reaction, I am finding a mass deficit of
2(1.007825 u) - 2.014102 u - 0.0005486 = 0.0009994 u
because v (neutrino) is massless.

Then the energy in MeV of this reaction is 0.0009994 u x 931.5 MeV/u = 0.9309411 MeV.

However, I checked http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton–proton_chain_reaction#The_proton.E2.80.93proton_chain_reaction, and it looks like the energy released is 0.42 MeV.

Did I do the calculation correctly?

Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you're using atomic masses (which include the mass of the electrons in the atom as well as the mass of the nucleus.) So, you'll need to take account of those atomic electrons.

TSny said:
Looks like you're using atomic masses (which include the mass of the electrons in the atom as well as the mass of the nucleus.) So, you'll need to take account of those atomic electrons.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. I've calculated the energies of the other reactions and they seem to correspond to the correct values. It is only the first reaction that is getting me confused.

That is, I found a mass deficit of 2(0.0005486 u) = 0.0010972 u for the second reaction, which corresponds to a release of 1.0220418 MeV of energy (that matches the result online), and I used atomic masses here too.

For the second reaction you are just using the mass of the electron rather than an atomic mass.

If you go to the third reaction, you would get the correct answer using atomic masses. That's because the atomic masses of 2H and 1H each contain the mass of one electron. So, together the two atomic masses include two electron masses. In the 3He product, the atomic mass will include two electrons. Since you end up subtracting the initial and final masses, the 2 electron masses in the hydrogen atomic masses are canceled out by the two electrons in the helium atomic mass. So, you "luck out".

But if you look at your first reaction, you are starting with two 1H's (1 electron in each atomic mass) and going to one 2H (1 electron in its atomic mass). So, now when you subtract the initial and final atomic masses, the electrons do not cancel. You'll need to take care of that.

Last edited:
TSny said:
For the second reaction you are just using the mass of the electron rather than an atomic mass.

If you go to the third reaction, you would get the correct answer using atomic masses. That's because the atomic masses of 2H and 1H each contain the mass of one electron. So, together the two atomic masses include two electron masses. In the 3He product, the atomic mass will include two electrons. Since you end up subtracting the initial and final masses, the 2 electron masses in the hydrogen atomic masses are canceled out by the two electrons in the helium atomic mass. So, you "luck out".

But if you look at your first reaction, you are starting with two 1H's (1 electron in each atomic mass) and going to one 2H (1 electron in its atomic mass). So, now when you subtract the initial and final atomic masses, the electrons do not cancel. You'll need to take care of that.

I see. So there is an electron left over in the first reaction. Now if I calculate the mass deficit using the atomic masses I find

2(1.007825 u) - 2.014102 u - 2(0.0005486 u) = 0.0004508 u,

which corresponds to an energy release of 0.4199 MeV. Thank you for your help!

Nice going!

What is the Proton-Proton Chain Energy?

The Proton-Proton Chain Energy is a nuclear fusion process that occurs in stars, specifically in their cores. It is the mechanism by which stars, including our sun, produce energy. It involves the conversion of hydrogen nuclei (protons) into helium nuclei, releasing energy in the process.

How does the Proton-Proton Chain Energy work?

The Proton-Proton Chain Energy works by combining four hydrogen nuclei (protons) to form a helium nucleus. This process involves several steps, including the fusion of two protons to form a deuterium nucleus, which then combines with another proton to form a helium-3 nucleus. Finally, two helium-3 nuclei fuse together to form a helium-4 nucleus, releasing energy and producing two protons to continue the chain.

What is the role of temperature in the Proton-Proton Chain Energy?

Temperature is a critical factor in the Proton-Proton Chain Energy. In order for the fusion process to occur, the temperature in the core of a star must be extremely high, reaching millions of degrees Celsius. At this temperature, the kinetic energy of the protons is high enough to overcome their mutual electrostatic repulsion, allowing them to fuse together.

How long does the Proton-Proton Chain Energy last?

The Proton-Proton Chain Energy is a continuous process that occurs in the core of a star as long as there is a sufficient supply of hydrogen fuel. In the case of our sun, it is estimated that the Proton-Proton Chain Energy will continue for another 5 billion years.

Can the Proton-Proton Chain Energy be replicated on Earth?

Scientists are currently working on replicating the Proton-Proton Chain Energy on Earth through nuclear fusion reactors. However, this technology is still in its early stages and has not yet been successfully achieved on a large scale. If successful, it could potentially provide a clean and virtually limitless source of energy.