1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astronaut releasing apple - Find acceleration

1. Aug 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a space shuttle orbiting 6.40 x 103 km above the surface of Earth, an astronaut releases
    a 325 g apple. If the radius of Earth is 6.40 x 103 km, what is the acceleration of the apple?

A. 2.45 m/s2
    B. 4.90 m/s2
    C. 9.80 m/s2
    D. 19.6 m/s2

2. Relevant equations

g=GM/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    i converted grams to kg whihc gave me 0.325kg. then i multiplied that number by the universal gravitational constant. then i divided that number by two times the radius. what am i doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: gravitation/acceleration

What did you use for the radius? It should be the distance from the center of the Earth not the distance above the surface of the Earth.

4. Aug 5, 2009 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Two times the radius? Do you mean the radius squared? 2 x R is not hte same as R^2, which is R * R.

5. Aug 5, 2009 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

And also, "M" is Earth's mass, not the apple's mass. Think about it: gravitational acceleration does not depend on mass.

6. Aug 8, 2009 #5

sorry yes, i meant the radius squared. and so the earths mass is 5.97 x 10^24, but dont i need to use the mass of the apple at all?

7. Aug 8, 2009 #6

F = ma

Fg = GMm/r^2

GMm/r^2 = ma <--- Cancel little m.

GM/r^2 = a

8. Aug 10, 2009 #7

so 6.67 x 10^-11 (0.325)/6.40 x 10^3^2. that gives me some huge big number like 5.29 x 10^ -19 and that is not one of the options.

9. Aug 10, 2009 #8

even when i use earths mass (5.97 x 10^ 24) it still gives me a huge number.

10. Aug 10, 2009 #9

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

r=2R

so g=GM/4R2

That shouldn't give you that big of a number

11. Aug 10, 2009 #10

You need to make sure r is in m not km then it will work.

12. Aug 10, 2009 #11

so u guys gave me two equations: g=GM/4R2, GM/r^2 = a. which one is right? and thanks bm0p700f for telling me to convert!

13. Aug 10, 2009 #12

The former equation is an application of the latter equation. The distance from the center of the earth to the ground is R. The distance from the ground to the satellite is R. R + R = 2R. 2R is the thing getting squared in the denominator. Distinguish between the capital Rs and the lower case rs. Think of the lower case r as the general distance, and the big R as an actual measurement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook