Astronaut throwing a Wrench in space problem again

In summary, the astronaut needs to throw the wrench at a speed such that it starts moving in the opposite direction of the astronaut's original movement, and the wrench's mass is included in the astronaut's "spacesuit and equipment."
jmattsen

Homework Statement

An astronaut with a mass of 90 kg (including spacesuit and equipment) is drifting away from his spaceship at a speed of 0.20 m/s with respect to the spaceship. The astronaut is equipped only with a 0.50-kg wrench to help him get back to the ship.

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum m1*v1=m2*v1

The Attempt at a Solution

unfortunately i really have no good an attempt. i know that the Δv has to = 0.1
and that the wrench has to exert a force on the astronaut in the opposite direction he is traveling but what i do not get is how the conservation of momentum equation is used since all the variables are known? (90kg+.5kg)(.2m/s)=(90ks)(.1m/s)

i feel like i should be using the equation F=m*Δv/t since i need to get a Δv in it somewhere but beyond that i am stumped

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jmattsen, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Your problem statement is vague or incomplete. You haven't specified precisely what is to be determined, and in what reference frame it is to be given. Presumably you need to find the minimum speed that the astronaut needs to throw the wrench in order to return to the spacecraft , but is that speed to be with respect to himself or the spacecraft ? And is the wrench's mass included in the astronaut's "spacesuit and equipment", or is it to be counted separately from that 90 kg?

whoops, i forgot the other half of the question.

With what speed must he throw the wrench for his body to acquire a speed of 0.10 m/s?

jmattsen said:
but what i do not get is how the conservation of momentum equation is used since all the variables are known? (90kg+.5kg)(.2m/s)=(90ks)(.1m/s)
That's the correct approach but where is the term for the spanner? and check your signs.. Your equation says the astronaut is still moving away from the ship, just slower than before, he's still in trouble! The question doesn't say it explicitly but I'd assume he wants to throw it fast enough to start moving back towards the ship.

1. What is the "Astronaut throwing a Wrench in space problem"?

The "Astronaut throwing a Wrench in space problem" is a theoretical physics problem that explores the concept of momentum and conservation of energy in a zero-gravity environment. It involves an astronaut throwing a wrench in space and the resulting motion of the astronaut and the wrench.

2. Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it helps us understand the laws of physics and how they apply in different environments. It also has practical applications in space missions and the development of space technology.

3. How does the problem relate to momentum and conservation of energy?

The problem relates to momentum and conservation of energy because when the astronaut throws the wrench, it gains momentum and travels in a certain direction. This momentum must be conserved, so the astronaut will also experience a change in momentum and move in the opposite direction. Additionally, the energy used to throw the wrench and the resulting motion of the astronaut and the wrench must also be conserved.

4. Is this problem only applicable to space environments?

No, the principles behind this problem are applicable in any environment where there is zero gravity or where momentum and energy must be conserved. However, the specific scenario of an astronaut throwing a wrench in space is unique to space environments.

5. Are there any real-life examples of this problem?

Yes, there have been instances where astronauts have accidentally released tools or objects while on spacewalks, resulting in unexpected motion and potentially dangerous situations. These incidents highlight the importance of understanding the principles behind the "Astronaut throwing a Wrench in space problem" in real-life space missions.