Astronaut and Wrench Momentum Problem

In summary: Is it wrong?In summary, an astronaut is drifting away from the International Space Station with a constant speed of 0.530 m/s due to a malfunction with the booster rockets on his spacesuit. To return to the station, he must throw a 7.75 kg wrench he is holding in the direction away from the station. After throwing the wrench with a speed of 14.32 m/s with respect to himself, the astronaut will be drifting towards the station with a speed of 0.8762 m/s. The speed of the wrench with respect to the space station will be 14.85 m/s.
ommnomnomnom

Homework Statement

An astronaut of mass 76.0 kg is taking a space walk to work on the International Space Station. Because of a malfunction with the booster rockets on his spacesuit, he finds himself drifting away from the station with a constant speed of 0.530 m/s. With the booster rockets no longer working, the only way for him to return to the station is to throw the 7.75 kg wrench he is holding.

(a) In which direction should he throw the wrench?

(b) He throws the wrench with speed 14.32 m/s with respect to himself.
After he throws the wrench, how fast is the astronaut drifting toward the space station?

(c) What is the speed of the wrench with respect to the space station?

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum
mu = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a) is easy, the answer is "away from the station".

Now I'm stuck in the last 2 parts.

I'm using (+) for toward the space station.

For (b), I did:
m_w*u_w + m_a*u_a = m_w*v_w + m_a*v_a
u_w and u_a are both -0.53 m/s, right?

(7.75 kg + 76 kg) * -0.53 m/s = 7.75 kg * -14.32 m/s + 76 kg * v_a
v_a = 0.8762 m/s
After I submit this, it says:
Your response differs from the correct answer by more than 10%. Double check your calculations.

For (c), I did:
Velocity of Astronaut wrt Station: v_SA = 0.530 m/s
Velocity of Wrench wrt Astronaut: v_AW = 14.32 m/s
So, velocity of wrench wrt station should be:
v_SW = v_SA + v_AW
v_SW = 0.530 + 14.32 = 14.85 m/s
After I submit this, it says:
Your response differs significantly from the correct answer. Rework your solution from the beginning and check each step carefully.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ommnomnomnom, welcome to PF.

The astronaut and wrench must move in the opposite direction. So their velocities cannot have the same sign.

rl.bhat said:
Hi ommnomnomnom, welcome to PF.

The astronaut and wrench must move in the opposite direction. So their velocities cannot have the same sign.

Are you talking about v_w and v_a?
I put negative 14.32 m/s for v_w.
For v_a, I got a positive 0.8762 m/s.

1. What is the "Astronaut and Wrench Momentum Problem"?

The "Astronaut and Wrench Momentum Problem" is a thought experiment that demonstrates the conservation of momentum in space. It involves an astronaut who is working on a spaceship and throws a wrench away from the ship. The question is, what happens to the astronaut and the spaceship after the wrench is thrown?

2. Why is the "Astronaut and Wrench Momentum Problem" important?

This thought experiment is important because it illustrates the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. It also highlights the importance of understanding and considering momentum in space travel and other scientific fields.

3. How does the "Astronaut and Wrench Momentum Problem" relate to Newton's Third Law?

The "Astronaut and Wrench Momentum Problem" is a perfect example of Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this scenario, the throw of the wrench is the action, and the resulting movement of the astronaut and spaceship in the opposite direction is the reaction.

4. Can you explain the mathematical equation behind the "Astronaut and Wrench Momentum Problem"?

The mathematical equation behind this problem is the conservation of momentum equation: Pinitial = Pfinal. This means that the initial momentum of the astronaut and wrench before the throw is equal to the final momentum of the astronaut and spaceship after the throw.

5. How does the mass and velocity of the astronaut and wrench affect the outcome of the "Astronaut and Wrench Momentum Problem"?

The mass and velocity of the astronaut and wrench both play a significant role in the outcome of this problem. According to the conservation of momentum equation, a change in one component (mass or velocity) will result in a change in the other. Therefore, the mass and velocity of the astronaut and wrench must be considered to determine the final momentum of the system.