Astronomy homework question - stars emitting in infrared

In summary, the question is asking which object emits more intense infrared radiation among the Earth, the Sun, a star that is five times hotter than the Sun but the same size, and a star that is double the size of the Sun but half as hot. The OP cannot decide between options 3 and 4 and is wondering if using the Stefan-Boltzmann and Wien formulas would be helpful.
akela
Astronomy homework question -- stars emitting in infrared

Dear All,

Hello! This is my first post. I am taking a distribution introductory astronomy course (low on math) and am having trouble with this question:

Which object emits more intense infrared radiation:
_ the Earth
_ the Sun
_ a star that is the same size as the Sun but five times hotter.
_ a star that is double the size of the Sun but half as hot.

I cannot decide between options 3 and 4. On the one hand, a star that is half as hot as the Sun emits mostly in infrared. On the other, a hotter star emits more across the whole spectrum. My gut instinct is to go with 3, but I am just not sure. Would using the Stefan-Boltzmann and Wien formulas be helpful?

Thanks in advance,

Akela

Physics news on Phys.org
Since this is not an astronomy forum, you should post all equations you think may be relevant, explaining the meanings of the symbols. Many who would be able to help are not going to take the time to research that.

What is infrared radiation?

Infrared radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a longer wavelength than visible light. It is commonly referred to as "heat radiation" because it is often associated with heat.

Why do stars emit infrared radiation?

Stars emit infrared radiation because they are extremely hot objects. As they heat up, they emit radiation across the entire electromagnetic spectrum, including infrared wavelengths.

How is infrared radiation used in astronomy?

Infrared radiation is used in astronomy to study objects that are difficult to observe in visible light, such as very young stars, dust clouds, and distant galaxies. It also allows astronomers to detect objects that are emitting heat, such as planets and comets.

How does infrared astronomy differ from traditional optical astronomy?

Infrared astronomy differs from traditional optical astronomy in that it uses specialized equipment, such as infrared telescopes and detectors, to detect and study objects emitting infrared radiation. It also allows astronomers to see objects that are not visible in visible light, providing a more complete view of the universe.

What are some real-life applications of infrared astronomy?

Infrared astronomy has several real-life applications, including helping to track weather patterns on Earth, identifying potential hazards in space, and studying the atmospheres of other planets. It is also used in medical imaging, such as infrared cameras for detecting heat patterns in the body.