Astronomy - interstellar dust grains

In summary, 1000*Msun = Mcloud * 0.01, Masscloud = 100,000*Msun = 2 * 1038 g, and then calculating the surface area for each dust grain.
accountkiller

Homework Statement

A typical dust grain has a radius of 10-7 m and a mass of 10-14 g. How many dust particles are there in a molecular cloud containing 1000*Masssun of dusty gas if 1% of the cloud's mass is in the form of dust grains?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1000*Msun = Mcloud * 0.01
Masscloud = 100,000*Msun = 2 * 1038 g.

Then do I just do:
(2 * 1038 g) / (10-14 g) = 2 * 1051 dust particles.

Is that correct?

Then, it asks to find the total surface area these (spherical) grains would take up if side by side. Do I just find S.A. = 4*pi*r2 = 4*pi*(10-7 m)2 = 1.2566*10-11 m2. So:
1.2566*10-11 m2 * (2 * 1051 particles) = 2.5 * 1040 m2 for the surface area. Is that how I'm supposed to do it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I have spotted a few errors, but for the most part your methods are correct.

mbradar2 said:

Homework Statement

A typical dust grain has a radius of 10-7 m and a mass of 10-14 g. How many dust particles are there in a molecular cloud containing 1000*Masssun of dusty gas if 1% of the cloud's mass is in the form of dust grains?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1000*Msun = Mcloud * 0.01
I interpret the question statement differently:
Mcloud = 1000*Msun
and
Mdust = 1% of Mcloud

Masscloud = 100,000*Msun = 2 * 1038 g.

Then do I just do:
(2 * 1038 g) / (10-14 g) = 2 * 1051 dust particles.

Is that correct?
No, but once you get a value for Mdust, your method should work.

Then, it asks to find the total surface area these (spherical) grains would take up if side by side. Do I just find S.A. = 4*pi*r2 = 4*pi*(10-7 m)2 = 1.2566*10-11 m2.
Correct method, but you should redo the calculation.
So:
1.2566*10-11 m2 * (2 * 1051 particles) = 2.5 * 1040 m2 for the surface area. Is that how I'm supposed to do it?
Yes, if you had the correct surface area for one dust grain, and the correct number of dust grains, that is how you would do it.

Well, it says that the molecular cloud contains 1000*M_sun of *dusty gas* - so dust particles. So that's only the dust particles, there's still all the other stuff that makes up a molecular cloud that isn't included in that, so the total M_cloud mass can't just be 1000*M_sun. It says 1% of the molecular cloud's total mass is dust grains... so 1% of the molecular cloud is the 1000*M_sun of *dusty gas* - dust grains. I guess I don't understand why you get 1000*M_sun = M_cloud when you look at the question, so I'm not sure which to use. Are you sure my way is not correct?

Oh, interstellar dust is defined in our textbook as "tiny, SOLID particles" so then 'dusty GAS' means the whole cloud, not just the solid particles.

Okay, thank you!

You're welcome :smile:

What is interstellar dust?

Interstellar dust is a term used to describe tiny particles that exist in the space between stars. These particles are typically made up of silicates, carbon, and other refractory materials.

Why is interstellar dust important in astronomy?

Interstellar dust plays a crucial role in the formation of stars, planets, and other celestial objects. It also affects the light and radiation that we receive from distant objects, making it an important factor in astronomical observations and studies.

How are interstellar dust grains formed?

Interstellar dust grains are formed from the remnants of stars that have exploded or from the debris of other celestial events. These particles are then dispersed throughout the interstellar medium by stellar winds and other forces.

What is the size of interstellar dust grains?

Interstellar dust grains can vary in size, ranging from a few nanometers to several micrometers. However, the majority of interstellar dust grains are believed to be less than 1 micrometer in size.

What are the properties of interstellar dust grains?

Interstellar dust grains have unique physical and chemical properties that are constantly being studied by astronomers. Some of these properties include size, composition, shape, and how they interact with light and radiation.