Astronomy Textbook for a Christmas Present

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the perfect astronomy textbook for the recipient's dad as a Christmas gift. The suggested book, "The Cosmic Perspective" by Bennett, Donahue, Schneider, and Voit, is highly recommended for its high school level math and planetarium software. Other suggested books include "The Nine Numbers of the Cosmos" by Michael Rowan-Robinson and "Universe" by Freedman and Kaufmann, which also comes with a free copy of starry night software. The conversation also mentions free open-source software like "Celestia" and "Stellarium" as alternatives.
russ_watters
Mentor
My dad wants an astronomy textbook for Christmas. He's always been at least somewhat interested in the subject and he also wants to be conversant with me on the subject. My high school astronomy class was a mixture of history, light math/theory, and general factoids about -- stuff. I don't know how deep/complex he's willing to go: he's an engineer and though he probably hasn't done any calculus in 40 years, I'm sure he could - but would he really want to? So a high school or college introductory level book would be best. I'm willing to go new or used, but not too used - a lot has changed in the past 10 years. If any come with planetarium software, that would be a plus too.

Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
On the software side, perhaps you already know of the free open-source ones like http://www.shatters.net/celestia/" ? It's amazing stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of the college/university texts for astronomy courses for non-science majors are excellent, as this is a very competitive market for publishers, and most of these books now come with planetarium software.

I particularly like The Cosmic Perspective,

http://www.mypearsonstore.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0321505670,

by Bennett, Donahue, Schneider, and Voit. At the end of many of the chapters are sections called Mathematical Insight. These sections contain only high school math, and can be read or completely ignored, depending on one's interests.

CaptainQuasar said:
On the software side, perhaps you already know of the free open-source ones like http://www.shatters.net/celestia/" ? It's amazing stuff.

I just downloaded Stellarium and it looks awesome. Thanks for the find. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Most undergrad texts don't have too heavy a mathematical content so I recall.

"Universe" by Freedman and Kaufmann came with a free copy of starry night. I don't think it was the full version but it was still quite good. I don't know if later editions do.

russ_watters said:
That looks perfect, thanks. So good I may need to get one for myself!

I may need to get one too! By the way, I love your astronomy site.

1. What is the content of the "Astronomy Textbook for a Christmas Present"?

The "Astronomy Textbook for a Christmas Present" covers fundamental topics in astronomy such as the history of astronomy, the solar system, stars and galaxies, and the universe. It also includes stunning images and illustrations to enhance the learning experience.

2. Is the "Astronomy Textbook for a Christmas Present" suitable for all ages?

While the textbook is primarily designed for high school and college students, it can also be enjoyed by individuals of all ages who have an interest in astronomy. The language used is easy to understand and the content is presented in a visually appealing manner.

3. Are there any interactive elements in the "Astronomy Textbook for a Christmas Present"?

Yes, the textbook includes QR codes that can be scanned to access additional online resources such as videos, simulations, and quizzes. These interactive elements make the learning experience more engaging and fun.

4. Can the "Astronomy Textbook for a Christmas Present" be used as a reference guide?

Absolutely! The textbook includes a comprehensive index and glossary for quick and easy reference. It also has a well-organized layout that makes it easy to find information on specific topics.

5. Is the "Astronomy Textbook for a Christmas Present" updated with the latest discoveries and advancements in the field?

Yes, the textbook is regularly updated to include new discoveries and developments in the field of astronomy. It also includes information on current missions and research projects, making it a relevant and up-to-date resource for readers.