Astrophysics into Aerospace Engineering?

In summary, the individual is considering transitioning from a bachelor's degree in astrophysics to a master's degree in aerospace engineering. They are wondering if this is possible and if they would need to take additional courses during their undergraduate years to prepare. The advice given is to look at the requirements of different universities and to consider taking extra courses during their undergrad in order to catch up on any deficiencies they may have. It is also noted that having a background in astrophysics may give the individual a leg up, but they may still need to catch up on certain engineering concepts and math techniques. Ultimately, the more in-major work the individual can do during their undergrad, the less catch-up they will have to do as a graduate student.
BBoBBo
Hello everyone! I'm here to discuss my decision on becoming an aerospace engineer. However there aren't that many universities that provide this program. I was accepted to three universities that taught this program, but they cost a fortune. So i had to chose a university that didn't have this program. As a result, i made astrophysics my major.

So my question is, can i transition from a bachelor's degree in astrophysics into a masters in aerospace engineering? Or would i have to take some additional courses during undergrad to help me possibly go for a masters in aerospace? Or is it not possible at all?

Thank you in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
The assumption for graduate school is that you have completed the equivalent work as an undergraduate in the same topic. If you haven't, somehow you have to catch up.

Vanadium 50 said:
The assumption for graduate school is that you have completed the equivalent work as an undergraduate in the same topic. If you haven't, somehow you have to catch up.

Thanks for the answer. May I ask, would you possibly know any of the courses that may be required for aerospace engineering?

Look on the website of colleges that offer undergraduate degrees are and see what their requirements are.

Vanadium 50 said:

You catch up in what you need to do the work. I have a friend who did her undergrad in math with a physics minor and now she's doing a masters in electrical engineering; she has to take device physics, electronics, and she's in a fabrication course as well.

BBoBBo said:
May I ask, would you possibly know any of the courses that may be required for aerospace engineering?
Vanadium 50 said:
Look on the website of colleges that offer undergraduate degrees are and see what their requirements are.
I would suggest looking at the web sites of colleges that offer graduate degrees and see with their requirements are.BBoBBo, what you will find is that there is no standard. Some schools recommend that you take the FE exams, and that is going to require a lot of catch-up work on your part. Others recommend that you take a large number of undergrad courses to make up for deficiencies. Yet others, not much at all. Whether you'll get in with "not much at all" is a different story.

As an astrophysics major you have a leg up on physics majors wanting to switch to aerospace. You probably have some aerodynamics, thermodynamics, and orbital mechanics in your upper level undergrad coursework (what you got as a freshman and sophomore doesn't count, and the typical classical mechanics course barely counts). Where you are probably deficient: Basic engineering concepts, spacecraft dynamics, guidance and control, structures, and aero and thermo to some extent. All those classes you took on quantum mechanics, galaxy formation, star formation are pretty much orthogonal to the things aerospace engineers worry about. The math is a bit different too. Aerospace has lot more emphasis on linear systems, time domain versus frequency domain, Fourier analysis, a lot less on Green's theorem, integral equations, Hilbert spaces.

D H said:
I would suggest looking at the web sites of colleges that offer graduate degrees and see with their requirements are.

BBoBBo, what you will find is that there is no standard. Some schools recommend that you take the FE exams, and that is going to require a lot of catch-up work on your part. Others recommend that you take a large number of undergrad courses to make up for deficiencies. Yet others, not much at all. Whether you'll get in with "not much at all" is a different story.

As an astrophysics major you have a leg up on physics majors wanting to switch to aerospace. You probably have some aerodynamics, thermodynamics, and orbital mechanics in your upper level undergrad coursework (what you got as a freshman and sophomore doesn't count, and the typical classical mechanics course barely counts). Where you are probably deficient: Basic engineering concepts, spacecraft dynamics, guidance and control, structures, and aero and thermo to some extent. All those classes you took on quantum mechanics, galaxy formation, star formation are pretty much orthogonal to the things aerospace engineers worry about. The math is a bit different too. Aerospace has lot more emphasis on linear systems, time domain versus frequency domain, Fourier analysis, a lot less on Green's theorem, integral equations, Hilbert spaces.

Wow! Thanks for the awesome answers. So i guess, I should try to take some extra courses during my undergrad years. Anyways thanks for your aid!

Certainly the more in-major work that you can do as an uindergrad, the less catch-up you'll have to do as a grad student. (And the more appealing you will be to grad schools)

1. What is the difference between astrophysics and aerospace engineering?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that focuses on the physics of the universe, while aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and construction of spacecraft and aircraft. Astrophysics is a more theoretical and observational field, while aerospace engineering is more focused on practical applications.

2. How does astrophysics play a role in aerospace engineering?

Astrophysics provides the fundamental scientific knowledge and principles that are necessary for the development of advanced technologies used in aerospace engineering. Concepts such as gravity, orbital mechanics, and celestial navigation are all rooted in astrophysics and are essential for the design and operation of spacecraft and aircraft.

3. What are some key areas of crossover between astrophysics and aerospace engineering?

Some key areas of crossover between astrophysics and aerospace engineering include celestial mechanics, propulsion systems, materials science, and remote sensing. These fields are all heavily influenced by astrophysics and are crucial for the development of space and aeronautical technologies.

4. How is astrophysics used in the design of spacecraft?

Astrophysics is used in the design of spacecraft in many ways. For example, astrophysicists study the behavior of celestial bodies and develop models to predict their movements, which is crucial for planning the trajectory of a spacecraft. Additionally, astrophysics is used to understand the properties of materials in space and to develop technologies that can withstand extreme conditions.

5. Can a degree in astrophysics lead to a career in aerospace engineering?

Yes, a degree in astrophysics can lead to a career in aerospace engineering. Many universities offer programs that combine astrophysics and aerospace engineering, and graduates with a strong background in astrophysics are highly sought after in the aerospace industry. Additionally, an understanding of astrophysics can be beneficial in many other fields such as data analysis, software engineering, and remote sensing.