Asymptotic anylasis of two tricky functions

• Thread starter pleasehelpmeno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to a given topic, involving simplifying limits and using asymptotic analysis. The first question is about finding the asymptotic form for y → -∞, while the second question involves an integral and taking the limit of x → ±∞. The conversation also includes a discussion on the meaning of asymptotic and provides an example of its use in probability.
pleasehelpmeno

Homework Statement

Hi I have two questions related to the above topic.
1)I am trying to practice this technique and am stuck on a couple of problems, one is in taking

a)[itex]\sqrt{10-\left(\frac{y}{x\sqrt{1+\frac{y^2}{x^2}}}\right)}[/itex] asymptotically as [itex]y\rightarrow -\infty [/itex]

b)[itex]\exp\left(\pm i \int_{x_0}^{x} \sqrt{f(x)}dx\right), \mbox {as } \rightarrow \pm\infty [/itex] [itex]f(x)=\sqrt{a^2 + a^{2}\frac{y^2}{x^2} } [/itex]

I know the answers are just a)[itex] -\frac{y}{x \sqrt{2}} [/itex] and b) [itex] (\frac{2y}{x})^{\pm ip^{2}/2}e^{\pm \frac{iy^{2}}{2}}e^{\pm \frac{ip^{2}}{4}}[/itex]but when trying to find it I just get stuck.

If this is in the wrong section I apologise, and can someone please redirect it thanks.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to simplify expression a) but only end up with the same answer that i get for +infinity which is:[itex] +\frac{y}{x \sqrt{2}} [/itex] and isn't correct.
As to b) I don't really know what to do because of the integral being present.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first limit is wrong. It cannot depend on y, and the denominator is wrong as well.
There are some convenient ways to simplify limits:
If ##f(y) \to A##, then ##\sqrt{f(y)} \ to \sqrt{A}##, and similar with any other continuous function. This should be sufficient to get the first limit. Hint: It does not depend on x.

The second limit is x -> +- infinity? And why does it have x both in the integrand and as limit of the integral? And where is the point in those two square roots (instead of one 4th root)?

sry my mistake

I see your point for the first one.
As to the integral it should read:

[itex]e^{\int^{n}_{n_0}\pm i p \sqrt{1+\frac{x^2}{p^2}}d x} [/itex] as [itex] x \rightarrow \infty[/itex]

I( just don't know how to apply asymptotic anylasis to integrals etc

That is a completely different expression now. And it is meaningless - the expression does not depend on x, so taking the limit of x to anything is pointless.
Please make sure that you copy the expression exactly.

That is the correct expression, and it does depend on x?

No, you integrate over x.

##\int_a^b f(x) dx = F(b)-F(a)## where F is an antiderivative of f. There is no x appearing on the right side, which is equal to the left side. In addition, x is just a dummy variable, you can replace it by anything else if you like: ##\int_a^b f(x) dx = \int_a^b f(w) dw##.

mfb said:
Your first limit is wrong. It cannot depend on y, and the denominator is wrong as well.
There are some convenient ways to simplify limits:
If ##f(y) \to A##, then ##\sqrt{f(y)} \ to \sqrt{A}##, and similar with any other continuous function. This should be sufficient to get the first limit. Hint: It does not depend on x.

The second limit is x -> +- infinity? And why does it have x both in the integrand and as limit of the integral? And where is the point in those two square roots (instead of one 4th root)?

The asymptotic form for y → ∞ CAN in principle depend on y, although in this case (i.e., for (a)) it happens to NOT depend on y. That is, the "claimed" answer is incorrect.

Ray Vickson said:
The asymptotic form for y → ∞ CAN in principle depend on y
How? Can you give an example?

ive done it now incidently

mfb said:
How? Can you give an example?

"Asymptotic" does NOT always mean "approach an asymptote". By definition,
[tex] f(x,y) \sim g(x,y) \;\text{ as } y \to \infty[/tex]
if
[tex] \frac{f(x,y)}{g(x,y)} \to 1 \; \text{ as } y \to \infty[/tex]
The symbol '~' means "is asymptotic to".

An important example in probability is the tail behaviour of the standard normal distribution: if ##Z## has density
[tex] f(z) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{-z^2/2},[/tex]
then
[tex] \Pr \{ Z > y \} \sim \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\frac{1}{y} e^{-y^2/2},[/tex]
for large y > 0. Use of the asymptotic form allows compution of tail probabilities far out in the distribution. Of course, the tail probability → 0 as y → ∞, but using the previous asymptotic form allows much better estimates: rather than saying "the probability is really, really small", we can say it is about 2.357e-08, for example.

Ah, well, okay. But there is no y-dependent limit then.

1. What is asymptotic analysis?

Asymptotic analysis is a mathematical method used to analyze the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value, usually infinity. It involves studying the growth rate of a function and how it behaves in the long run.

2. What are the two tricky functions frequently analyzed using asymptotic analysis?

The two tricky functions that are frequently analyzed using asymptotic analysis are logarithmic functions and exponential functions. These functions have complex behavior and are often used to model real-world phenomena.

3. How is asymptotic analysis useful in real-world applications?

Asymptotic analysis is useful in real-world applications because it allows us to understand the efficiency and performance of algorithms and systems. By analyzing the growth rate of a function, we can determine the best approach to solving a problem and optimize the use of resources.

4. What is the difference between big O, big Omega, and big Theta notations in asymptotic analysis?

Big O notation represents the upper bound of a function's growth rate, big Omega notation represents the lower bound, and big Theta notation represents the tight bound. In other words, big O is the worst-case scenario, big Omega is the best-case scenario, and big Theta is the average-case scenario.

5. Can asymptotic analysis be applied to any type of function?

Yes, asymptotic analysis can be applied to any type of function as long as it has a well-defined behavior as its input approaches a certain value. However, it is most commonly used for analyzing the performance of algorithms and systems, which often involve complex functions.