1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asymptotic series as x approaches infinity

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the first 3 (non-zero) terms of the asymptotic series as x→∞ for ln(ex+1)

2. Relevant equations

ln(1+ε) ~ ε-ε2/2+ε3/3-O(ε4) (x→0)

3. The attempt at a solution

I found
    x+ln(1+e-x) (x→∞) = ln(ex+1) (x→∞)​
    ε=e-x
    which allows me to use the Maclaurin series above (since now the ε→0 as x→∞) yielding
    x+[e-x-e-2x/2+e-3x/3+O(e-4x)]

My question
    Is there some expansion I should be using for e-x (x→∞) or some rearrangement of the ex (x→0) that I can use as replacement for e-x to find the next two terms of the series

Thanks
    Clay

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2
    You could set x'=1/x to express ln(1+e^(-x)) in terms of x' for x'->0

4. Nov 29, 2011 #3

Mute

Homework Helper

No. The asymptotic expansion of exp(-x) for large x is just exp(-x). The taylor series expansion is valid only for small x, so there's nothing else you can do. If you're looking for an expansion that looks like

[tex]\ln(1+e^x) \sim f(x)\left( 1 + \frac{a_1}{x} + \frac{a_2}{x^2} + \mathcal O \left(\frac{1}{x^3}\right) \right),[/tex]

then I don't think that's possible. (Mathematica, seems to agree, suggesting there is no expansion of the function around x = infinity). I'd say the best you could do is define y = e^x and then modify the asymptotic series you already derived that's expressed as ln(y) + inverse powers of e^x = y.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook