Asymptotic series as x approaches infinity

In summary, the first three (non-zero) terms of the asymptotic series for ln(ex+1) as x→∞ are x + e-x - e-2x/2 + e-3x/3 + O(e-4x). There is no further expansion for e-x that can be used to find the next two terms of the series.
rg2004

Homework Statement

Find the first 3 (non-zero) terms of the asymptotic series as x→∞ for ln(ex+1)

Homework Equations

ln(1+ε) ~ ε-ε2/2+ε3/3-O(ε4) (x→0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found
x+ln(1+e-x) (x→∞) = ln(ex+1) (x→∞)​
ε=e-x
which allows me to use the Maclaurin series above (since now the ε→0 as x→∞) yielding
x+[e-x-e-2x/2+e-3x/3+O(e-4x)]

My question
Is there some expansion I should be using for e-x (x→∞) or some rearrangement of the ex (x→0) that I can use as replacement for e-x to find the next two terms of the series

Thanks
Clay

Physics news on Phys.org
You could set x'=1/x to express ln(1+e^(-x)) in terms of x' for x'->0

rg2004 said:
My question
Is there some expansion I should be using for e-x (x→∞) or some rearrangement of the ex (x→0) that I can use as replacement for e-x to find the next two terms of the series?

No. The asymptotic expansion of exp(-x) for large x is just exp(-x). The taylor series expansion is valid only for small x, so there's nothing else you can do. If you're looking for an expansion that looks like

[tex]\ln(1+e^x) \sim f(x)\left( 1 + \frac{a_1}{x} + \frac{a_2}{x^2} + \mathcal O \left(\frac{1}{x^3}\right) \right),[/tex]

then I don't think that's possible. (Mathematica, seems to agree, suggesting there is no expansion of the function around x = infinity). I'd say the best you could do is define y = e^x and then modify the asymptotic series you already derived that's expressed as ln(y) + inverse powers of e^x = y.

Last edited:

1. What is an asymptotic series?

An asymptotic series is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of a function as the input value approaches infinity. It is a series of terms that gets closer and closer to the actual function value as the input value gets larger.

2. How is an asymptotic series different from a power series?

An asymptotic series is similar to a power series in that it is also an infinite series of terms. However, the terms in an asymptotic series do not necessarily have to follow a specific pattern like in a power series. Additionally, while a power series aims to represent a function exactly, an asymptotic series only approximates the behavior of a function as the input value gets larger.

3. How is an asymptotic series used in mathematical analysis?

An asymptotic series is commonly used in mathematical analysis to study the behavior of functions as the input value approaches infinity. It allows mathematicians to make approximations and estimates of the function's behavior without having to evaluate it at extremely large input values.

4. Are there any limitations to using an asymptotic series?

Yes, there are limitations to using an asymptotic series. It is only accurate for large input values and may not accurately represent the behavior of a function for smaller input values. Additionally, the accuracy of an asymptotic series depends on the number of terms included, and it may not converge for all functions.

5. Can an asymptotic series be used to approximate the behavior of any function?

No, an asymptotic series can only be used to approximate the behavior of functions that exhibit a specific type of behavior as the input value approaches infinity. It may not be applicable to all types of functions and may not converge for some functions.