Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

At what age did Newton encounter mathematics

1. Dec 28, 2008 #1
    At what age did Newton encounter and fell in loved with mathematics? I was really surprised when some sources said that he learned trigonometry during his college years and that he didn't really read Euclid's elements until after 1663.(http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Biographies/Newton.html) I would think a genius like Newton would have encountered and study mathematics early on in life,like mastering the most advanced math of his time by like 8 or 9 years old. Especially since he created the differential party of calculus a few years later. I am unable to check out a book on Newton's biography , so could someone in PF who possesses more knowledge than I enlighten me on when NEwton became greatly interested in mathematics?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2008 #2
    anyone not understand my question or does anybody not know at exactly what year was Newton introduced to mathematics?

4. Dec 31, 2008 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, I know he didn't like Euclid much, but in his mid/late teens, I believe his enthusiasm for maths was fired by mathematicians like Wallis.

5. Dec 31, 2008 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?