At what age did you obtain/ plan to obtain Ph.d.

What age did you get / plan to get ph.d.

  • 20 or younger

    Votes: 4 8.7%
  • 21

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 22

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 23

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 24

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 25

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 26

    Votes: 4 8.7%
  • 27

    Votes: 5 10.9%
  • 28

    Votes: 5 10.9%
  • 29

    Votes: 9 19.6%
  • 30

    Votes: 5 10.9%
  • 31

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 32

    Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 33

    Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 34

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 35

    Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 36

    Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 37

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 38 or 39

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40 or older

    Votes: 2 4.3%

  • Total voters
    46
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 5K views
causalset
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
To those of you in physics, what age did you obtain ph.d. ? And to those of you who didn't get ph.d. yet, what age do you anticipate in getting it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I was 28 when I obtained mine.

You do know that the AIP keeps statistics on this for physics PhDs right?
 
Last edited:
Norman said:
I was 28 when I obtained mine.

You do know that the AIP keeps statistics on this for physics PhDs right?

I didn't know about it. Can you give me a link?
 
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=aip+physics+phd"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Zubin said:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=aip+physics+phd"

Well, google search gives all sorts of things, and when I looked none of them gave me the age statistics I was looking for.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Zubin said:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=aip+physics+phd"

That's not necessary, or helpful.

http://www.aip.org/statistics/

There's the AIP statistics page, but I didn't see anything about ages. It's possible you can dig something up on that site with the search function, though. At least it's a place to start.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
DarrenM said:
That's not necessary, or helpful.

http://www.aip.org/statistics/

There's the AIP statistics page, but I didn't see anything about ages. It's possible you can dig something up on that site with the search function, though. At least it's a place to start.

Only that
http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/highlite/emp/figure14.htm

Helpful site though, if I confront the medium salaries of Ph.D graduates with ones from Italy I get depressed :(

Anyway I plan to finish as 26/27 years old (depending on when will be the examination. In fact I get the grant to the day before my 27 birthday, but I cannot decide the examination day! ;) Could be a couple of month before or a couple months later... )
 
How are PhD's that finished their studies at ages around 35 viewed upon by potential employers/academia? Are some of the doors closed due to one's age or at least significantly harder to crack open?