Necross said:
If you don't mind me asking, how hard is it to obtain a fellowship?
Depends on the type of fellowship. The 4 different fellowships I had through grad school were:
1. A very nominal award that was given to almost all grad students every year (like $500 for the year). They used this make sure you lived up to expectations teaching.
2. A fairly competitive award from the grad school based on academic performance, teaching evaluations, department recommendation and research progress. (was like $2000 or so)
3. An award for summer research support through a state agency. Had to write a fairly nominal research proposal. Was like $3-4k I think.
Fairly competitive. About 20% of the proposals received were funded.
4. A nationally competitive research fellowship from NASA that fully funded my final 3 years of grad school. You had deliverables that had to be met by a deadline that you created in your proposal. The proposal was fairly involved- not quite as involved as research grant proposals once you graduate, but still pretty involved.
I cannot really comment on how hard it is to get a certain fellowship and how different departments handle their funding. But I do know I was in the minority of my friends. They tended to just TA to pay the bills until they passed the Qualifying Exams then get an RA for full-time support if their advisor had money. If their advisor didn't have funding for them they could either TA and do research unpaid or hunt down fellowships.
Is there any statistical data on grad school earning etc?
The AIP probably has some statistics on that kind of stuff for physics grad schools. For other fields, I have no idea where you would find it. That is something to ask your advisor, though I think.
Also the thing is that I don't plan on having a family until I finish school but I would need to support my aging parents and my younger siblings. Herein lies the real problem.
This is going to be tough I think. Even with a well paying job it would be tough. The thing is, you typically only get paid enough to live in grad school. Doesn't much matter if you teach or get a Research Assistant position or have a fellowship. Your money will be used to cover your basic living expenses. But this is all very subjective and I know there is a huge variance in how much grad students are paid and your cost of living is also a huge issue. Having to live in a big city vs a small town for grad school will factor in.