At what angle does the normal force go to zero?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle at which an ice cube will separate from an overturned spherical bowl, given the initial conditions and using force and energy equations. The solution involves finding a function between the velocity of the ice cube and the height above ground, which can be expressed as h = r-rcosθ.
romogirl

Homework Statement

An ice cube is placed on top of an overturned spherical bowl of radius r, as indicated in the figure. If the ice cube slides downward from rest at the top of the bowl, at what angle θdoes it separate from the bowl? In other words, at what angle does the normal force between the ice cube and the bowl go to zero?
08-27.gif

Homework Equations

∑F=ma
ΔK=-ΔU

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram, with the force on the ice cube from the Earth pointed straight down and the normal force perpendicular to the surface of the globe. I then summed the forces.
ΣFy=Wy-N=mac
Based on trig, I know that Wy= cosθW = cosθmg.
Then: ac= Vt2/r and the normal force is 0. Substituting all this in I get:
cosθmg=mVt2/r
cosθ=Vt2/gr

So the next step would be to find for Vt.
ΔK =-ΔU
Kf =1/2mv2
KO = 0
Uf = 0
UO = mgr
1/2mv2 = mgr
v2 = 2gr

Plugging in this to the above:
cosθ=2gr/gr
cosθ=2
which isn't the answer.

I think I am making a mistake possibly in Uf, but I am not sure what exactly it would be. Would it be mgh, where h is the height it falls off? How would I find h then?

Physics news on Phys.org
The drop should be less than r.

Last edited:
romogirl said:
ΣFy=Wy-N=mac
Based on trig, I know that Wy= cosθW = cosθmg.
Then: ac= Vt2/r and the normal force is 0. Substituting all this in I get:
cosθmg=mVt2/r
cosθ=Vt2/gr

So the next step would be to find for Vt.
ΔK =-ΔU
Kf =1/2mv2
KO = 0
Uf = 0
UO = mgr

Till this point it's correct.

romogirl said:
1/2mv2 = mgr

This equation generally is correct, but it gives you the velocity of the ice cube, when it hits the ground (as the entire potential energy is converted into kinetic energy). You have to find a connectedness between the velocity of the ice cube and the height above ground depending on the angle θ.

So instead of

romogirl said:
1/2mv2 = mgr

you need a function

1/2⋅m⋅v2 = m⋅g⋅Δh(r,θ)

How could you express Δh in terms of radius r and angle θ?

stockzahn said:
Till this point it's correct.
This equation generally is correct, but it gives you the velocity of the ice cube, when it hits the ground (as the entire potential energy is converted into kinetic energy). You have to find a connectedness between the velocity of the ice cube and the height above ground depending on the angle θ.

So instead of
you need a function

1/2⋅m⋅v2 = m⋅g⋅Δh(r,θ)

How could you express Δh in terms of radius r and angle θ?
I made a right triangle, and I found that r-h=rcosθ, so then would h = r-rcosθ?

romogirl said:
I attached a picture of the drawing I made.

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 666
romogirl said:
Yes, that's it.

romogirl said:
I attached a picture of the drawing I made.
Looks good.

stockzahn said:
Looks good.
This makes so much more sense, thank you!

1. What is the normal force?

The normal force is the perpendicular force that acts on an object when it is in contact with a surface. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force exerted by the object on the surface.

2. How does the angle affect the normal force?

The angle at which an object is placed on a surface affects the normal force because it determines the component of the object's weight that is perpendicular to the surface. As the angle increases, the perpendicular component of the weight decreases, resulting in a decrease in the normal force.

3. Why does the normal force go to zero at certain angles?

At certain angles, the perpendicular component of the weight of an object becomes zero. This means that there is no force acting on the object in the vertical direction, resulting in a normal force of zero.

4. What is the significance of the normal force going to zero?

When the normal force goes to zero, it means that the object is no longer in contact with the surface. This could happen when the object is placed on a slope and begins to slide down, or when the surface is no longer able to support the weight of the object.

5. How can the angle at which the normal force goes to zero be calculated?

The angle at which the normal force goes to zero can be calculated using trigonometric functions and the weight of the object. It is important to consider the forces acting on the object, such as gravity and friction, in order to accurately determine the angle at which the normal force becomes zero.