1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

At what points on this curve is the tangent line horizontal?

1. Mar 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At what points on the curve y = (x^2)/(2x+5) is the tangent line horizontal?

2. Relevant equations
    Quotient rule

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured out the derivative which is
    2x(2x+5) - 2x^2
    -----------------
    (2x+5)^2

I also know that for the equation of the tangent to be horizontal, it needs to have a slope of 0, so y' = 0

Therefore I tried to do 2x(2x+5) - 2x^2 = 0, and I got 2x^2 + 10x = 0 which means that x must be -5. However when I put it into the calculator, it doesn't agree with me, so I went wrong somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have no idea what you mean by "put it into the calculator". However, "2x^2+ 10x= 0" does NOT mean "that x must be -5". How did you get that?

4. Mar 6, 2013 #3
    I got a ti84, and i can draw a tangent line and it'll tell me the formula, so when I drew a tangent line through -5, the line was not horizontal completely. If you plug in -5 into 2x^2 + 10x= 0, it works out, but when you plug it back into the first one you don't get 0.

5. Mar 6, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There are two critical numbers; x = -5 is one of them.

If you substitute x = -5 into y = x2/(2x + 5), you'll get the y value at one of the points where the tangent is horizontal.

6. Mar 6, 2013 #5
    But the calculator disagrees with the fact that x = -5 is one of them, and also how can I find the other point?

7. Mar 6, 2013 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I have no idea what you're entering into the calculator, so I can't say that its objections are valid.

To find the other critical number, find both solutions of 2x2 + 10x = 0.

I hope you aren't doing this:

2x2 = - 10x

and then dividing both sides by 2x.

8. Mar 6, 2013 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted