At what time will bike and car be side by side again - Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the area of a region bound by three coordinates on a graph. The solution provided uses Heron's formula, but the method is not clearly explained and the numbers used are not explained. The conversation also touches upon the concept of the bike being in front of the car on the graph, but this is not clearly defined. The reader suggests providing more explanation and context in future problems.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Kinematics
Find the question below;

1639824566895.png

For part (a), i used the graph to find ##t=22##
1639824652117.png

For part (b), i considered the points;

##(8,20)##, ##(13.333,20)## and ##(0,0)##

it follows that,
Area=##\sqrt {25.454(25.454-21.54)(25.454-24.036)(25.454-5.333)}##
##\sqrt {2842.58}##=##53.31##

There may be other better methods, my textbook only provides the final solution with no working...these are how the solutions look like (from textbook).

1639825220539.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
For part (b), i considered the points;
(8,20), (13.333,20) and (0,0) it follows that,
Area=√25.454(25.454−21.54)(25.454−24.036)(25.454−5.333)
√2842.58=53.31
What is your reasoning, and where do you get those numbers from?

mjc123 said:
What is your reasoning, and where do you get those numbers from?
The greatest distance between the bike and the car is bound by the given coordinates...and one can find area of the region bound by the three co ordinates...one can get the co ordinates directly from the graph...let me know if this is still not clear...

I still don't see where you get the numbers 25.454, 21.54 etc., or the big square root expression. The area of the triangle is simply 1/2*base* height = 1/2*5.333*20 = 53.33.

mjc123 said:
I still don't see where you get the numbers 25.454, 21.54 etc., or the big square root expression. The area of the triangle is simply 1/2*base* height = 1/2*5.333*20 = 53.33.
OK, i made use of
1. L= ##\sqrt{(x_2-x_1)^2 +(y_2-y_1)^2}##
2. A=##\sqrt {s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)}##

mjc123 said:
We are looking at the region where the motorbike is in front of the car...

OK, just seems a rather complicated way of doing the calculation...

Likes chwala
chwala said:
We are looking at the region where the motorbike is in front of the car...
Since you have a v-t graph, I don't see how you can tell by inspection the region where this is true.

I think you mean, your coordinates span the time when the bike is going faster than the car. The bike remains in front for a further 8.667 seconds, while the now faster car is catching up.

chwala said:
Relevant Equations:: Kinematics
Might help if you mentioned the slightly unusual Heron's formula.
Especially when most people would use A= bh/2 for such a simple triangle with b and h known, so no need to use Pythagoras to calculate the other two sides of the triangle.
chwala said:
The greatest distance between the bike and the car is bound by the given coordinates...
chwala said:
(8,20), (13.333,20) and (0,0)
True, but if you're asking people to check your work, IMO some explanation would be sensible. Until I drew the graph myself, it was not even clear to me where your coordinates came from: the coordinates on the graph were not in their correct positions and the vertical axis had no scale. (I did wonder why your vertical axis went above 30m/sec, why the horizontal axis went so high, why both axes went negative, what the point of labeling (12,30) and (22,33) was? These all seemed to obscure rather than help.)

I'm not wanting to pick holes in your work just for the sake of it. If you want others to tell you if there is a better method, they need to know what method you used! You say you already have the answer, so just telling you that it is correct is no help. But largely, all YOU gave was your answer, not your method/ thinking. (And I am thinking of your other, even more mystifying thread, as well.)

Merlin3189 said:
Since you have a v-t graph, I don't see how you can tell by inspection the region where this is true.

I think you mean, your coordinates span the time when the bike is going faster than the car. The bike remains in front for a further 8.667 seconds, while the now faster car is catching up.Might help if you mentioned the slightly unusual Heron's formula.
Especially when most people would use A= bh/2 for such a simple triangle with b and h known, so no need to use Pythagoras to calculate the other two sides of the triangle.True, but if you're asking people to check your work, IMO some explanation would be sensible. Until I drew the graph myself, it was not even clear to me where your coordinates came from: the coordinates on the graph were not in their correct positions and the vertical axis had no scale. (I did wonder why your vertical axis went above 30m/sec, why the horizontal axis went so high, why both axes went negative, what the point of labeling (12,30) and (22,33) was? These all seemed to obscure rather than help.)

I'm not wanting to pick holes in your work just for the sake of it. If you want others to tell you if there is a better method, they need to know what method you used! You say you already have the answer, so just telling you that it is correct is no help. But largely, all YOU gave was your answer, not your method/ thinking. (And I am thinking of your other, even more mystifying thread, as well.)
I have noted your remarks, i assumed that the reader would probably be conversant with the math concepts being used, i will be more clearer in the future and also make sure to state which concept or math rule is used on a given problem. Cheers...

Merlin3189 said:

I think you mean, your coordinates span the time when the bike is going faster than the car. The bike remains in front for a further 8.667 seconds, while the now faster car is catching up.Might help if you mentioned the slightly unusual Heron's formula.
Especially when most people would use A= bh/2 for such a simple triangle with b and h known, so no need to use Pythagoras to calculate the other two sides of the triangle.True, but if you're asking people to check your work, IMO some explanation would be sensible. Until I drew the graph myself, it was not even clear to me where your coordinates came from: the coordinates on the graph were not in their correct positions and the vertical axis had no scale. (I did wonder why your vertical axis went above 30m/sec, why the horizontal axis went so high, why both axes went negative, what the point of labeling (12,30) and (22,33) was? These all seemed to obscure rather than help.)

"Since you have a v-t graph, I don't see how you can tell by inspection the region where this is true."

Using the three co ordinates ##(8,20)##, ##(13.333,20)## and ##(0,0)## would do, i guess this should be clear enough..

Might help if you mentioned the slightly unusual Heron's formula.
Especially when most people would use
'A= bh/2 for such a simple triangle with b and h known', so no need to use Pythagoras to calculate the other two sides of the triangle.

Unless i am missing something, i do not think one can use the right angle triangle directly to find the required distance. Not unless, you want to find area of rectangle...then subtract area of two triangles...

You do know that A = bh/2 applies to all triangles, not just right-angle ones, don't you?

For an arbitrary triangle, the vertical height may not be obvious, but in this case it is (and you need to use it to calculate two of the sides by Pythagoras).

Likes chwala

1. What factors determine when a bike and car will be side by side again?

The speed and direction of both the bike and car, as well as the distance between them, will determine when they will be side by side again.

2. Can you calculate the exact time when the bike and car will be side by side again?

Yes, the exact time can be calculated using the distance formula and the speeds of the bike and car. However, this calculation assumes constant speeds and no external factors affecting the motion.

3. How can external factors affect the time when the bike and car will be side by side again?

External factors such as traffic, road conditions, and changes in speed or direction can affect the time when the bike and car will be side by side again. These factors can make the calculation of the exact time more complex.

4. Is there a way to predict when the bike and car will be side by side again without knowing their exact speeds?

If the distance between the bike and car remains constant, the ratio of their speeds will determine when they will be side by side again. However, this method will only provide an estimate and not an exact time.

5. Can the time when the bike and car will be side by side again be affected by the starting point of each vehicle?

Yes, the starting point of each vehicle can affect the time when they will be side by side again. If the starting points are different, the distance between the two vehicles will be greater, and it will take longer for them to be side by side again.