1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Atmospheric drag on an artificial satellite orbiting the Earth

1. Jun 14, 2017 #1
    Consider an artificial satellite orbiting the Earth and suppose that the atmosphere co-rotates with the Earth.

I need to calculate x, y and z components of the atmospheric drag.

I know how to calculate the drag in a non-spinning atmosphere and I have all the data to do that, but the Earth’s rotation confuses me.

I know the x, y and z components of the satellite state (position and velocity). The z-axis is the Earth’s rotation axis and the x-axis and y-axis lie on the equatorial plane. The exes do not rotate (it’s an inertial reference frame).

Please, could somebody help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2017 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

The altitude of the satellite is not stated. Atmospheric drag is only significant for objects in low earth orbits. The shape, size, and orientation of the satellite are also not stated.

4. Jun 14, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can calculate the x/y/z motion of the atmosphere at the position of the satellite and subtract that from the satellite velocity to find the relative velocity.

5. Jun 15, 2017 #4
    There is no doubt, but how to calculate x/y of the atmosphere (rotating frame) in the satellite reference frame (inertial frame)?
    I know that the atmosphere rotates with speed (with an adequate accuracy for me):
    Vrot= (6378.137 + alt_satellite) * (2 * PI) / 86162 * cos(lat_satellite) [km/s]
    the z component is always 0, but how to calculate x/y components?

6. Jun 15, 2017 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

##\vec v = \vec r \times \vec \omega## with the cross product.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted