1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atmospheric Electic Field: Can It Ever Provide A Reliable Energy Source?

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    [I realize and understand that trying to harness storm lightning is fairly impossible/impractical, so that is not the focus here, unless someone has some info contradicting that.]

The basic question I have is this: there is a strong altitude correlation in the distribution of positive (higher atmos.) and negative (lower atmos.) ions in the Earth's atmosphere, and I wonder if there may be some way to derive usable energy from that.

Say, speculatively, we were to place high altitude balloons below which we tether a weight on a longish conducting cable. Would such an apparatus create an appreciable current along it's length? If so, could such a setup lead to something like free-floating generators that, for example, beam via microwave the energy captured to the nearest ground receiver?

I am quite obviously not conversant enough in neither the physics nor the engineering, but perhaps some of you bright folks could either quash this as impossible/not worth it, or aid in my speculation?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted