Atomic Physics - normalising eigenstates

In summary, the conversation is about a student requesting help with question 1 of an attached homework sheet. They are unsure about their calculus and need it reviewed, as well as help with breaking down their workings to find C. They also mention difficulties with pasting equations and images into the forum.
kel

Homework Statement

Hi, I'd doing question 1 of the attached sheet and just wondered if someone could help me out. I'm a bit unsure of my calculus and need it reviewed, alsoam not entirely sure how to break down my workings (using the supplied equations in the hint) to find C. So any input would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See the attached files - ps is there any software that I can use to write equations on this forum, mathtype would be nice, but I can't seem to cut & paste from it to here.

Thanks again
Kel

Attachments

• examples2.pdf
    51.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 1.bmp
    54.5 KB · Views: 496
Physics news on Phys.org
just realized that n=2 and alpha=2/a0, but still need some guidance on the calculus

cheers

Under "The attempt at a solution" you say "See the attached files" but there is no attempted solution in the files. One is just a statement of the problem and the other is just the integral set up but not computed- in spite of the fact that the problem statement tells you what that integral is!

the integral file is the one that I wrote out - wasn't sure if I've done the math correct before I move onto the next part.

Kel, since you mentioned you weren't able to paste a MathType equation into a forum post, I'm wondering if you or anyone else has had success pasting any sort of image into a post? I tried it and it didn't work out for me with JPG, PNG, or GIF images.

Bob

What is an eigenstate in atomic physics?

An eigenstate in atomic physics refers to a state in which a quantum system is in one of its allowed energy levels. It is a stationary state and does not change over time.

Why is normalisation important in atomic physics?

Normalisation is important in atomic physics because it ensures that the total probability of finding the system in any of its possible states is equal to 1. This is necessary for the correct interpretation of the system's behavior and to ensure the validity of calculations.

How do you normalise eigenstates in atomic physics?

To normalise eigenstates in atomic physics, you need to find the normalisation constant by integrating the probability density function over all possible values. This constant is then used to scale the eigenstate to ensure that its total probability is equal to 1.

What is the significance of eigenstates in atomic physics?

The significance of eigenstates in atomic physics lies in their ability to accurately describe the possible states of a quantum system. They provide a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic level and are crucial for making accurate predictions.

Can eigenstates change over time in atomic physics?

No, eigenstates in atomic physics are stationary states and do not change over time. However, the coefficients that determine the probability of finding the system in a particular eigenstate may change over time, leading to changes in the overall state of the system.