1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid State Physics: Atomic chain oscillations

1. May 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok, don't get angry with me. The original problem is from Solid State Physics but my problem is very well in "Introductory physics". Here is the problem:

The chain consists of molecules, which has three atoms, each with mass ##M##. Spring constant between the atoms inside the molecule is ##K## and between the molecules ##Q \ll K## as shown in the picture.
    Capture.PNG
    Now
    part a) wants me to do "something" and use approximation that the molecules are rigid.
    part b) wants me to do "something else" and use approximation that the molecules are not connected with a spring.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Now both of these approximations in part a) and b) should tell me something about the spring constants ##Q## and ##K##. But I can't figure it out.

I am assuming that part b) wants me to set ##Q\rightarrow 0## while I have absolutely no idea what part a) is supposed to say. Maybe that ##K\rightarrow \infty##?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2015 #2
    It looks as if the system has two resonant frequencies, and the two are independent.

4. May 29, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sounds right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted