Solid State Physics: Atomic chain oscillations

In summary, the problem is about a chain of molecules with three atoms each and different spring constants between atoms and molecules. Part a) asks for an approximation with rigid molecules, while part b) asks for an approximation with no spring connections. Both approximations should give information about the spring constants.
skrat

Homework Statement

Ok, don't get angry with me. The original problem is from Solid State Physics but my problem is very well in "Introductory physics". Here is the problem:

The chain consists of molecules, which has three atoms, each with mass ##M##. Spring constant between the atoms inside the molecule is ##K## and between the molecules ##Q \ll K## as shown in the picture.
Capture.PNG

Now
part a) wants me to do "something" and use approximation that the molecules are rigid.
part b) wants me to do "something else" and use approximation that the molecules are not connected with a spring.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now both of these approximations in part a) and b) should tell me something about the spring constants ##Q## and ##K##. But I can't figure it out.

I am assuming that part b) wants me to set ##Q\rightarrow 0## while I have absolutely no idea what part a) is supposed to say. Maybe that ##K\rightarrow \infty##?

Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:

Homework Statement

Ok, don't get angry with me. The original problem is from Solid State Physics but my problem is very well in "Introductory physics". Here is the problem:

The chain consists of molecules, which has three atoms, each with mass ##M##. Spring constant between the atoms inside the molecule is ##K## and between the molecules ##Q \ll K## as shown in the picture.
View attachment 84228
Now
part a) wants me to do "something" and use approximation that the molecules are rigid.
part b) wants me to do "something else" and use approximation that the molecules are not connected with a spring.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now both of these approximations in part a) and b) should tell me something about the spring constants ##Q## and ##K##. But I can't figure it out.

I am assuming that part b) wants me to set ##Q\rightarrow 0## while I have absolutely no idea what part a) is supposed to say. Maybe that ##K\rightarrow \infty##?
It looks as if the system has two resonant frequencies, and the two are independent.

skrat said:
I have absolutely no idea what part a) is supposed to say. Maybe that K→∞K\rightarrow \infty?
Sounds right.

1. What is solid state physics?

Solid state physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of solid materials, such as crystals and amorphous solids. It explores the physical properties of these materials at a microscopic level, including their structure, behavior, and interactions with different forms of energy.

2. What are atomic chain oscillations?

Atomic chain oscillations, also known as phonons, are vibrations of atoms in a solid material that occur due to thermal energy. These vibrations can be described as waves traveling through the material and can affect its thermal and electrical conductivity, as well as other properties.

3. How are atomic chain oscillations related to solid state physics?

Atomic chain oscillations are a fundamental concept in solid state physics. The study of these vibrations helps us understand the behavior and properties of solid materials, and how they respond to external factors like temperature and pressure. They also play a crucial role in the development of technologies such as transistors and semiconductors.

4. What factors influence the frequency and amplitude of atomic chain oscillations?

The frequency and amplitude of atomic chain oscillations can be influenced by various factors, including the temperature of the material, its physical properties like density and elasticity, and the type of atomic bonds present. Additionally, the presence of defects or impurities in the material can also affect the oscillations.

5. How are atomic chain oscillations studied and measured?

Scientists use various experimental techniques to study and measure atomic chain oscillations, such as inelastic neutron scattering, Raman spectroscopy, and Brillouin scattering. These techniques involve bombarding the material with particles or light waves and observing the resulting changes in the atomic vibrations, which can provide valuable information about the material's properties.