Atomic positioning with DNA hinges - Comments

In summary, the new paper by Klotza and colleagues describes a technique for positioning molecules with accuracy of 0.04 nm. This is an order of magnitude larger than the precision of current methods, but still impressive. The result is still useful, though claims of Bohr radius resolution may be a bit overblown. This field has a lot of potential, and I'm excited to see what it develops into in the next 20 years.
klotza
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
klotza submitted a new PF Insights post

Atomic Positioning with DNA Hinges

alexdna-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Andy Resnick and Greg Bernhardt
Biology news on Phys.org
This is going to be a new category in physics soon? Nano-mechanics? It makes me want to build nanobots!

jerromyjon said:
This is going to be a new category in physics soon? Nano-mechanics? It makes me want to build nanobots!

You're not the only one interested in nanobots: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/making-a-voltron-out-of-dna.807896/ (of course, the DNA origami nanobot in that article only looks like a robot, but doesn't actually do anything). Here's a news piece from Nature discussion chemists efforts to build nanoscale parts to generate molecular scale motion: http://www.nature.com/news/the-tini...cale-motors-rotors-switches-and-pumps-1.18262 The article focuses mostly on supramolecular chemistry, though one could imagine trying to design DNA nanostructures capable of such functions as well.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
jerromyjon said:
It makes me want to build nanobots!
I could see DIY kits out by Christmas :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I could see DIY kits out by Christmas :biggrin:
I was thinking the same thing! I just couldn't think of anything other than nanorobotic drain opener, and I doubt that's on anyone but the plumber's x-mas list.

Oooh, nanorobotic paint scrapers, too! I could use a few bucketfuls of those. :eek: I suppose they should collect lead as well...

Why can't I think of anything fun...

Last edited:
aroc91 said:
I haven't seen anything more recent on the topic.
Me either. Anything in this realm attracts my interest! Having such fine angle control the first thing I'd want to make is atomic pinwheels to see if we can figure out how to make it do something...

Three statisticians are playing darts in a bar. The first steps up to the line, throws his dart and misses wide left. The second statistician takes his turn, and misses wide right, at which point the third statistician yells "bullseye!"

After having time to read the full paper, this is my impression of the claim that the authors can position molecules with "Bohr radius" accuracy. Yes, they can construct structures where they molecules with an accuracy of 0.04 nm, but the precision with which they can place the molecules is an order of magnitude larger (~0.5 nm from the authors' estimates). The result is still impressive and useful, though claims of Bohr radius resolution may be a bit overblown.

I wasn't thinking of positioning of atoms as into piece together parts, like on a workbench. I was thinking of the DNA backbone as the "bench" to assemble pieces within itself, similar to protein mechanics. I am quite fuzzy on what actually is state of the "art", as Greg called it... I think there might be a lot more going on behind the scenes or there should be! I can only imagine how much potential this field has and I can't make out many challenges it couldn't help overcome.

Dear staff
i wowed a lot about this topic
thanks alot

The possible places this could lead to in 20 years blows my mind. Hope I'm around to see it developed.

1. What is atomic positioning with DNA hinges?

Atomic positioning with DNA hinges is a method that uses DNA molecules as "hinges" to precisely position and control the placement of atoms or molecules. This technique is used in nanotechnology and biotechnology to create precise and complex structures.

2. How do DNA hinges work in atomic positioning?

DNA hinges work by creating specific sequences of DNA that can bind to specific atoms or molecules. By manipulating the sequence of DNA, researchers can control the positioning of the hinges and therefore the placement of the atoms or molecules.

3. What are the potential applications of atomic positioning with DNA hinges?

Some potential applications of atomic positioning with DNA hinges include creating nanoscale devices, such as sensors and switches, and designing more efficient drug delivery systems. It can also be used to study and manipulate biological systems at the molecular level.

4. What are the advantages of using DNA hinges in atomic positioning?

One advantage of using DNA hinges in atomic positioning is the high precision and controllability it offers. DNA molecules can be easily manipulated and programmed to bind to specific targets, allowing for precise placement of atoms or molecules. Additionally, DNA is a biocompatible material, making it well-suited for use in biological applications.

5. What are the challenges of using DNA hinges in atomic positioning?

Some challenges of using DNA hinges in atomic positioning include the difficulty of designing and synthesizing specific DNA sequences, as well as the potential for the hinges to become damaged or disrupted during the positioning process. There may also be limitations in the size and complexity of structures that can be created using this technique.