Atomic Ratio and Ratio of Mole Fractions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 10K views
Saladsamurai
Messages
3,009
Reaction score
7

Homework Statement



Hi folks! :smile:

This is just a conceptual question that has arisen during some reading. At one point the author states that for the reaction:

[itex]CO_2 \leftrightharpoons X_{CO}CO + X_{CO_2}CO_2 + X_{O_2}O_2[/itex]

where X is the mole fraction of each component at equilibrium, that we can relate the ratio of oxygen atoms:carbon atoms to the mile fractions by the following.

[tex]\frac{\text{No. carbon atoms}}{\text{No. oxygen atoms}}=\frac{1}{2}=\frac{X_{CO}+X_{CO_2}}{X_{CO}+X_{CO_2}+X_{O_2}}[/tex]Now I can see that what they have essentially written is

[tex]\frac{\text{No. oxygen atoms}}{\text{No. carbon atoms}}<br /> =<br /> \frac{\text{mole fractions of everything with carbon in it}}{\Sum\text{mole fractions of everything with oxygen in it}}[/tex]

Now intuitively this makes sense to me and I can dig it! :smile: BUT, I would like to make the math work to prove it to myself, but I cannot seem to figure it out :confused:

The Attempt at a Solution



This is what I did to try to "prove" it. Since Xi = Ni / NT where NT is the total number of moles in the mixture at equilibrium, I can write

[tex] \frac{X_{CO}+X_{CO_2}}{X_{CO}+X_{CO_2}+X_{O_2}} = <br /> \frac{N_{CO}/N_T+N_{CO_2}/N_T}{N_{CO}/N_T+N_{CO_2}/N_T+N_{O_2}/N_T} =<br /> \frac{N_{CO}+N_{CO_2}}{N_{CO}+N_{CO_2}+N_{O_2}} [/tex]I am just not sure where to go from here? I thought about writing each Ni as something like: NCO = (NC + NO), but did not get too far.

Any thoughts?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:
[tex]\frac{\text{No. oxygen atoms}}{\text{No. carbon atoms}}=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

And not

[tex]\frac{\text{No. oxygen atoms}}{\text{No. carbon atoms}}=\frac{2}{1}[/tex]?

After all that's the ratio in CO2 which is present initially.

I will try to get back to the problem, have to do something else at the moment. Seems like your approach should lead to the correct conclusion.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
How many atoms of everything in 1 mole of CO2?

And you probably need to use stoichiometry of the reaction:

2CO2 <-> 2CO + O2
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
And not

[tex]\frac{\text{No. oxygen atoms}}{\text{No. carbon atoms}}=\frac{2}{1}[/tex]?

After all that's the ratio in CO2 which is present initially.

I will try to get back to the problem, have to do something else at the moment. Seems like your approach should lead to the correct conclusion.

--
buffer calculator, concentration calculator
pH calculator, stoichiometry calculator

Yes Borek; my mistake. I have edited to reflect the correct problem.

Borek said:
How many atoms of everything in 1 mole of CO2?

And you probably need to use stoichiometry of the reaction:

2CO2 <-> 2CO + O2

--
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - buffer calculator, stoichiometry calculator
www.ph-meter.info - ph meter, ph electrode


So if me let ai be the number of atoms in the ith species and NAis Avagadros number, we have for 1 mole of CO2:

[tex]a_{\text{1mol}_{CO_2}} = \text{1mol}_C*N_A\frac{\text{atoms}} + 2*\text{1mol}_O*N_A\frac{\text{atoms}}{\text{mol}} = 3N_A \, \text{atoms}[/tex]

I am can presumably do this for all remaining species and find that the ration is indeed 1/2. Now that I think about it, if I really wanted to *prove* it in general I should have let the subscripts be dummy variables as well as the species names...but that is for another time. When I get the time I will do this on paper since I am still not sure where I would use the stoichiometry of the rxn.
 
Last edited:
Saladsamurai said:
I am still not sure where I would use the stoichiometry of the rxn.

For example - to combine amounts of CO and O2 present. If you assume initially there was CO2 only, you can also calculate XCO2 knowing XCO (or XO2)
 
Last edited by a moderator: