Audio Streamer for Hearing Aids

In summary, the conversation is about building a "streamer module" that connects multimedia devices (smartphones, TV, radio) to noise-amplification ear plugs for senior and hearing-impaired individuals. The project involves creating a compact module that can perform various audio connections, including Bluetooth to jack and Bluetooth to Bluetooth, as well as full-duplex communication. The conversation also discusses the use of an audio codec and a Bluetooth transceiver module, as well as seeking advice on how to amplify analog outputs and send digital audio data to the Bluetooth module. The project is challenging but the person is determined to learn and improve their skills.
Ospreys
<Moderator's note: link removed as advertisement.>

Hello!To those who are reading this post, I need your help! I’m sure I will find here experienced and skilled people willing to give me a hand with this project.First, I’m French, and even if I’ll do my best to write correctly in your language, I do apologize for my inevitable spelling and grammar mistakes.My project is the following: build a “streamer module” which main goal is to do the connection between multimedia devices (smartphones, TV, radio) and noise-amplification ear plugs (small earplugs used by senior and hearing-impaired person).

For example, if the hearing-device user want to connect his/her hearing device to his/her smartphone, he/she needs an intermediary module making the link between the two.Alright, now let’s get down to business.You will find below the translation of a part of my design brief summarizing all the input and output connections of the module. And to spice things up, the streamer module needs to by inside a paralepidid of 8x8x4cm.

The link to the picture : https://ibb.co/QNZcR4W
QNZcR4W

I started my project on searching for audio stereo Bluetooth module to perform the Bluetooth <-> Jack 3.5mm connection.

Unfortunately, this one only does the Bluetooth  Jack 3.5mm connection and can’t go backyard. Moreover - as you can see in the table upward – I also need to do the Bluetooth <-> Bluetooth connection, and for that I need a full-duplex (receive and transmit at the same time) Bluetooth module (to use only one Bluetooth module, and not two).Because I can’t find any pre-built audio stereo Bluetooth module that can go from Bluetooth to jack and vice versa, and perform full-duplex Bluetooth trans-reception, I abandoned this idea of using existing audio module.Thus, I need to build my own audio board, with ADC, DAC, amplifier, Bluetooth module and so on. I know this is very complicated stuff (at least for me), therefore I am here to seek your advices.In order the convert the analogic / digital audio data, I choose this audio codec: TLV320AIC3106-Q1. This is an automotive low-power stereo CODEC with 10 analog inputs, 7 analog outputs, HP amplifier and a max sampling rate of (96kHz enough for audio data converting). This one is from Texas Instruments.

audio-codec.png

xGMjmrn
As you can see in this functional block diagram, there are 10 analog inputs, 6 analog output and two digital pins at the top: DIN and DOUT (with their clock pins).In relation with this module, my questions are the following:- How will I be able to amplify the analog outputs (using the integrated amplifier but how, with which pins? Not matter how many times I read the datasheet, I can’t see this information).- Do you think this audio codec is enough for my needs? I need to connect 3 different analogic devices (Jack, Induction coil, and Radio FM), but the datasheet says the module only has 2 different ADC channels. Well, I don’t understand it also says it has 10 analog inputs?Using this audio codec, I can convert analogic audio data to digital audio data, and hopefully I can send those data to my Bluetooth transceiver module. I choose this module : RN4020-V/RM. This module has a data rate of 1MBPS (>192kbps which is the bit rate of the MP3 audio file). This module has an UART interface (RX and TX), but how am I supposed to send the digital audio data coming from my audio codec to the UART interface of the Bluetooth module? The only option I see is to use another module to make the link between the two… But what module, Arduino board?I also looked at the RN4020-V/RM datasheet and I can’t see if this module can do full-duplex communication, receive and transmit at the same time.I hope my explanations weren’t confusing… As you can see, I got myself involved in a project way to hard for my skills. But that is no reason to give up.If you see anything odd or wrong with my way of thinking, please tell me.Thank you so much for your help! You’re helping a young boy building up its skills, and this is priceless.

Attachments

• audio-codec.png
    audio-codec.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Ospreys said:
My project is the following: build a “streamer module” which main goal is to do the connection between multimedia devices (smartphones, TV, radio) and noise-amplification ear plugs (small earplugs used by senior and hearing-impaired person).
I think you mean "sound amplification", not "noise amplification" hearing aids. Amplifying the noise is definitely not a good thing.

Also, Bluetooth enabled hearing aids already exist -- I have a friend who swears by them. They let him take phone calls with his smartphone using the hearing aids he wears all the time anyway.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bluetooth+hearing+aids&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

I missed how you were going to connect to the hearing aids in your post above. Can you point me to that part of your post? Thanks.

Good evening berkeman !

You're right, "noise amplification" isn't what I want ^^. Forgive my bad translation.

I know bluetooth hearing aids already exist, and they are pretty common nowadays. What I don't understand is that the hearing aid plug I'm working on has bluetooth, but for some reason they want me to build that "intermediary streamer". I'll do what they want, even if it's pointless...

Yeah for some reasons the first picture does not appear correctly, I'll fix that up now.

Ospreys said:
What I don't understand is that the hearing aid plug I'm working on has Bluetooth, but for some reason they want me to build that "intermediary streamer".
I don't understand what that means.

My hearing aids require a device that I hang on a neck string. It has more powerful batteries, and a more powerful antenna than the hearing aids themselves. Then it re-transmits to the hearing aids via Bluetooth, max range is 50cm. Compare it to a cell phone and the coupled Bluetooth ear pieces. That device plays the role of the cell phone.

More modern hearing aids might presume that I always have a smart phone in my pocket within 1 meter of the ear but, and get rid of that device.

isson.com%2Fadmin%2Fjs%2Fckfinder%2Fuserfiles%2Fimages%2FBernafon-SoundGate-3-schema-utilisation.jpg

Attachments

• isson.com%2Fadmin%2Fjs%2Fckfinder%2Fuserfiles%2Fimages%2FBernafon-SoundGate-3-schema-utilisation.jpg
    isson.com%2Fadmin%2Fjs%2Fckfinder%2Fuserfiles%2Fimages%2FBernafon-SoundGate-3-schema-utilisation.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 507
Likes berkeman
BvU said:
They want you to build a TV adapter for a soundgate 3 ?

Oh wow! I would love that. I use wireless headphones for the TV now, but those force me to remove my hearing aids first.

Beware, many or most modern flat screen TVs no longer have the audio output jacks. They have been replaced with a digital jack for an external surround sound system. Not even the $3000 ones have the jacks. None of the headsets accept those digital inputs.

Ospreys said:
Because I can’t find any pre-built audio stereo Bluetooth module that can go from Bluetooth to jack and vice versa, and perform full-duplex Bluetooth trans-reception, I abandoned this idea of using existing audio module.

i'm hopelessly outdated

Do you need something more capable than this ?

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/logitech-bluetooth-music-receiver-review/

btw your English is quite good.
Sum total of my French is "Bonjour, y'all".

anorlunda said:
My hearing aids require a device that I hang on a neck string

anorlunda, what you have around your neck is exactly what I have to build ! I was wondering what was the point in making a bluetooth <-> bluetooth communication type, but you answered my question : the hearing aids have limited bluetooth range.

BvU said:
They want you to build a TV adapter for a soundgate 3 ?

Not exactly, they want me to build a prototype that has the same purpose of the soundgate 3. Making the bridge between the TV/Smartphone and the hearing aids.

jim hardy said:
i'm hopelessly outdated

Do you need something more capable than this ?

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/logitech-bluetooth-music-receiver-review/

Well, that's not exactly what I was looking for. Indeed, I need a transmitter and receiver bluetooth module. The one you showed me is only a receiver bluetooth module.

jim hardy said:
Sum total of my French is "Bonjour, y'all".

"Bonjour, y'all" is a good start ! Even if "y'all" isn't very frenchy, but it will do the trick for me ;-)

Thank you all for your replies !

1. What is an Audio Streamer for Hearing Aids?

An Audio Streamer for Hearing Aids is a device that allows individuals with hearing loss to stream audio signals directly from their electronic devices, such as smartphones or televisions, to their hearing aids. This provides a more direct and clear audio signal, making it easier for individuals with hearing loss to hear and understand conversations and media.

2. How does an Audio Streamer for Hearing Aids work?

An Audio Streamer for Hearing Aids works by connecting to the user's hearing aids via Bluetooth or other wireless technology. The user then connects their electronic device to the streamer, which transmits the audio signal directly to the hearing aids. This allows for a more direct and clear audio signal, as well as the ability to adjust the volume and settings on the streamer.

3. Who can benefit from using an Audio Streamer for Hearing Aids?

An Audio Streamer for Hearing Aids can benefit individuals with hearing loss, specifically those who use hearing aids. It can also be helpful for individuals who struggle to hear conversations or media in noisy environments, as the streamer provides a more direct and clear audio signal.

4. Are there different types of Audio Streamers for Hearing Aids?

Yes, there are different types of Audio Streamers for Hearing Aids. Some streamers are specifically designed for certain hearing aid brands and models, while others are more universal and can be used with a variety of hearing aids. There are also different styles of streamers, such as ones that clip onto clothing or ones that are worn around the neck.

5. Can I use an Audio Streamer for Hearing Aids with any electronic device?

Most Audio Streamers for Hearing Aids are compatible with a wide range of electronic devices, such as smartphones, televisions, and computers. However, it is important to check the compatibility of the streamer with your specific electronic device before purchasing. Some streamers may also require the use of specific apps or software to function properly.