Australian HSC mathematics extension 2 exam Polynomial

In summary, the problem asks for someone to show that if a zero of a real quadratic equation is imaginary, then the real part of the equation is also imaginary. For part ii, the problem asks for someone to show that if a zero of a real quadratic equation is imaginary, then the real part of the equation is also imaginary. For part iii, the problem asks for someone to explain why q is in a certain range.
Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

This problem is from the Australian HSC mathematics extension 2 exam. Q6b)

It states:

b) Let [tex]P(x)=x^3+qx^2+qx+1[/tex], where q is real. One zero of P(x) is -1

i) Show that if [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a zero of P(x) then [tex]\frac{1}{\alpha}[/tex] is a zero of P(x)

ii) Suppose that [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a zero of P(x) and [itex]\alpha[/itex] is not real.
(1) show that [tex]|\alpha|=1[/tex]
(2) show that [tex]Re(\alpha)=\frac{1-q}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i) I was able to answer this one

ii) (1) I was uncertain about this one so I fudged the answer, but for a quick and unsatisfactory answer, I went with the idea that if [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]1/\alpha[/itex] are complex roots to a real polynomial, then the roots must occur in conjugate pairs and thus have the same modulus. Actually... also

[tex]P(x)=x^3+qx^2+qx+1\equiv (x+1)(x^2+(q-1)x+1)[/tex]

The quadratic factor: [tex]x=\frac{1-q\pm\sqrt{(q-3)(q+1)}}{2}[/tex]
Thought I had it... guess not...

ii) (2) I scabbed the answer from the quadratic (without really understanding why it works) that [tex]Re(z)=Re(\alpha)=\frac{1-q}{2}[/tex]
This is the part without the surd. Also, unsure of a correct approach to the answer.

Help for these 2 parts would be greatful.

Physics news on Phys.org

For part ii, the idea that they have to come in conjugate pairs sounds good to me. What did you find wrong with it?

For the last part notice [tex]
x=\frac{1-q\pm\sqrt{(q-3)(q+1)}}{2}
[/tex] is real unless the part inside the square root is negative. If that's negative, what's the real part of the number?

for ii) I thought that while I was able to show that[tex]|\alpha|=|\frac{1}{\alpha}|[/tex], I wasn't able to show they're both equal to 1. But now that I look at it again, for a complex number [itex]\alpha[/itex] and its reciprocal to be equal, they must have a mod of 1.

for iii) well yes the real part is ofcourse obvious, but this assumes that [tex](q-3)(q+1)<0[/tex] thus [tex]-1<q<3[/tex]
How do I explain/show that q is in fact in this range? Or can I just assume it because the question specifically stated that the roots are imaginary?

If it's not in that range, then you've found all the roots, and they are real. But one of them has to be imaginary, so that's a contradiction

I understand now. Thanks for your help Office_Shredder :smile:

What is the structure of the Australian HSC mathematics extension 2 exam Polynomial?

The Australian HSC mathematics extension 2 exam Polynomial consists of two sections: Section I and Section II. Section I is a multiple choice section with 20 questions worth 20 marks. Section II is a long response section with 8 questions worth 80 marks.

What topics are covered in the Australian HSC mathematics extension 2 exam Polynomial?

The exam covers topics such as polynomial functions, complex numbers, polynomial equations, polynomial inequalities, and polynomial graphs. It also includes applications of polynomials in real-world situations.

How long is the Australian HSC mathematics extension 2 exam Polynomial?

The exam is 3 hours in duration, with 10 minutes reading time at the beginning of the exam. This means you will have 2 hours and 50 minutes to complete the exam.

What resources are allowed in the Australian HSC mathematics extension 2 exam Polynomial?

Students are allowed to bring a calculator, a ruler, a protractor, and a set of compasses. They are also provided with a formula sheet, which includes commonly used formulas and identities related to polynomials.

How is the Australian HSC mathematics extension 2 exam Polynomial marked?

The exam is marked out of 100 and is weighted at 50% of the overall HSC mathematics extension 2 course. The marking process involves a team of experienced markers who use a detailed marking criteria to ensure consistency and accuracy in the marking process.