1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Australian HSC mathematics extension 2 exam Polynomial

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This problem is from the Australian HSC mathematics extension 2 exam. Q6b)

It states:

b) Let [tex]P(x)=x^3+qx^2+qx+1[/tex], where q is real. One zero of P(x) is -1

i) Show that if [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a zero of P(x) then [tex]\frac{1}{\alpha}[/tex] is a zero of P(x)

ii) Suppose that [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a zero of P(x) and [itex]\alpha[/itex] is not real.
    (1) show that [tex]|\alpha|=1[/tex]
    (2) show that [tex]Re(\alpha)=\frac{1-q}{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

i) I was able to answer this one

ii) (1) I was uncertain about this one so I fudged the answer, but for a quick and unsatisfactory answer, I went with the idea that if [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]1/\alpha[/itex] are complex roots to a real polynomial, then the roots must occur in conjugate pairs and thus have the same modulus. Actually... also

[tex]P(x)=x^3+qx^2+qx+1\equiv (x+1)(x^2+(q-1)x+1)[/tex]

The quadratic factor: [tex]x=\frac{1-q\pm\sqrt{(q-3)(q+1)}}{2}[/tex]
    Thought I had it... guess not...

ii) (2) I scabbed the answer from the quadratic (without really understanding why it works) that [tex]Re(z)=Re(\alpha)=\frac{1-q}{2}[/tex]
    This is the part without the surd. Also, unsure of a correct approach to the answer.

Help for these 2 parts would be greatful.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Polynomial

For part ii, the idea that they have to come in conjugate pairs sounds good to me. What did you find wrong with it?

For the last part notice [tex]
    x=\frac{1-q\pm\sqrt{(q-3)(q+1)}}{2}
    [/tex] is real unless the part inside the square root is negative. If that's negative, what's the real part of the number?

4. Oct 27, 2009 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

for ii) I thought that while I was able to show that[tex]|\alpha|=|\frac{1}{\alpha}|[/tex], I wasn't able to show they're both equal to 1. But now that I look at it again, for a complex number [itex]\alpha[/itex] and its reciprocal to be equal, they must have a mod of 1.

for iii) well yes the real part is ofcourse obvious, but this assumes that [tex](q-3)(q+1)<0[/tex] thus [tex]-1<q<3[/tex]
    How do I explain/show that q is in fact in this range? Or can I just assume it because the question specifically stated that the roots are imaginary?

5. Oct 27, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it's not in that range, then you've found all the roots, and they are real. But one of them has to be imaginary, so that's a contradiction

6. Oct 27, 2009 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I understand now. Thanks for your help Office_Shredder :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook