(Australian) Stuck in 2nd year Chemistry with low gpa :'(

In summary, the individual is struggling with their current degree in Applied Sciences and wants to transfer to a degree in Computer Science. However, they have failed two courses and do not have a high enough average to transfer. They are considering options such as going to a technical college to obtain a diploma in IT to use as a bridge for admission to a university, or trying universities with lower entry requirements. They are also considering post-graduate options such as teaching or a graduate diploma, but these options may be expensive. If they start from scratch in Computer Science, they risk reaching their hecs limit and having to pay full fees.
goldennote
Here's the deal,
I got into Applied Sciences degree and now find myself going down a Chemistry major route and doing really badly at it. I cannot move to a Computer Science in my course so I have to transfer.
So I can at least have grounds to be awarded a minor.
In order to transfer to a degree in my uni (Australia) to a different one Monash and do Bachelor of Science, they say they prefer a Credit Average and I feel I am totally screwed now 1.5 years in. So far I have failed two courses.

If I start from scratch in Computer Science I have to start all over again from scratch and risk my hecs limit, meaning I have to pay full fees. What can I do?
HECS are University places subsidized by the Australian government.
I want out!
At the moment I can't travel, my skills are untransferrable or go on exchange overseas it just sucks.

Physics news on Phys.org

goldennote said:
Here's the deal,
I got into Applied Sciences degree and now find myself going down a Chemistry major route and doing really badly at it. I cannot move to a Computer Science in my course so I have to transfer.
So I can at least have grounds to be awarded a minor.
In order to transfer to a degree in my uni (Australia) to a different one Monash and do Bachelor of Science, they say they prefer a Credit Average and I feel I am totally screwed now 1.5 years in. So far I have failed two courses.

If I start from scratch in Computer Science I have to start all over again from scratch and risk my hecs limit, meaning I have to pay full fees. What can I do?
HECS are University places subsidized by the Australian government.
I want out!
At the moment I can't travel, my skills are untransferrable or go on exchange overseas it just sucks.

Hey there goldennote and welcome to the forums.

I live in Australia and I currently study and have a background in programming just so you know where I am coming from.

If you can't transfer using your current results in your current degree, one course of action might be to go to a technical college (like TAFE) and getting a diploma in some part of IT. Using this as a bridge, if you get high enough marks in your diploma, I'm sure universities have methods of admission that allow you to use your diploma to gain entry, and maybe to get specified credit for certain courses.

Granted, this is a longer way than the usual method of transferring, but apart from that I can't think of a way to get into a course like computer science.

One other way that might work is if you try universities with lower entry requirements, get good marks in your first year and then transfer to somewhere like say Monash.

I think out of the above suggestions, TAFE might be a good option, especially if you don't have much experience with IT, programming, or both. It should provide some hands on experience in which you can decide whether you want to stick it out and get a degree. Personally I got sick of programming 9-5 and went into mathematics but that's just me.

Good luck!

chiro said:
It should provide some hands on experience in which you can decide whether you want to stick it out and get a degree. Personally I got sick of programming 9-5 and went into mathematics but that's just me.

Good luck!

Arrgh I can't switch to either of those majors!
It should provide some hands on experience in which you can decide whether you want to stick it out and get a degree.
Trouble is, I might as well just complete my current degree!
My only post grad. choices are:
-Teaching
-Anayltical Chemist! ( I don't want this job)
-No visa eligbility.
-Graduate Diploma in Arts $$$
-Postgraduate Diploma in Science (Can't do Computer Science) $$$
-Masters? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I go to Diploma:
No teaching eligibility

Last edited:
goldennote said:
If I start from scratch in Computer Science I have to start all over again from scratch and risk my hecs limit, meaning I have to pay full fees.

How many years have you been studying at university?

First of all, I want to reassure you that it is completely normal to struggle in certain subjects and courses during your academic journey. Chemistry can be a challenging subject, but with hard work and determination, you can improve your GPA and achieve your academic goals.

My advice would be to seek help from your professors and academic advisors. They can provide you with resources and strategies to improve your understanding of the subject and help you develop better study habits. Additionally, consider joining a study group or finding a tutor to assist you in your coursework.

If you are set on transferring to a different university or program, make sure to thoroughly research the requirements and deadlines. You may also want to consider taking summer courses or additional classes to boost your GPA and make yourself a more competitive candidate for transfer.

Lastly, do not be too hard on yourself. Remember that your GPA does not define your intelligence or potential. Keep pushing yourself and never give up on your dreams. Good luck!

1. What can I do to improve my GPA in 2nd year Chemistry?

There are several steps you can take to improve your GPA in 2nd year Chemistry. First, make sure you are attending all of your lectures and taking thorough notes. Additionally, seek out extra help from your professor or teaching assistant if you are struggling with any concepts. It may also be helpful to form or join a study group with classmates. Finally, prioritize studying for your chemistry exams and complete all assignments and labs to the best of your ability.

2. Is it too late to improve my GPA in 2nd year Chemistry if I had a low GPA in my first year?

No, it is never too late to improve your GPA. While your first year grades may have an impact on your overall GPA, you still have the opportunity to improve your grades in 2nd year Chemistry and any future courses you take. Focus on doing your best in your current courses and seek out academic resources if needed.

3. How can I stay motivated and engaged in my 2nd year Chemistry classes?

Staying motivated and engaged in your classes can be challenging, especially if you are struggling with your GPA. One way to stay motivated is to set specific and achievable goals for yourself, such as earning a certain grade in a particular class. Additionally, try to find ways to make the material more interesting and relevant to your life, and don't be afraid to ask questions and participate in class discussions.

4. What resources are available to help me succeed in 2nd year Chemistry?

There are many resources available to help you succeed in 2nd year Chemistry. Your professor or teaching assistant may offer office hours for extra help. Your school's tutoring center may also have resources specifically for chemistry students. Additionally, there are many online resources, such as study guides and practice problems, that can help you better understand the material.

5. Should I consider dropping my 2nd year Chemistry class if I am struggling with my GPA?

Dropping a class should be a last resort, especially if you are struggling with your GPA. Before making a decision, consider seeking help from your professor or academic advisor, and try to find ways to improve your understanding and performance in the class. With effort and determination, you may be able to improve your grade and avoid dropping the class.