Author Iain Banks has terminal cancer

• Thread starter Ryan_m_b
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cancer
In summary, Iain Banks, author of The Wasp Factory, The Crow Road, Complicity and the Culture series, has terminal cancer and is not expected to live another year. Many readers express their sadness and admiration for Banks' work, with recommendations for some of his best books. His influence and legacy will continue to live on through his writing.
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Iain Banks author of The Wasp Factory, The Crow Road, Complicity and the Culture series has terminal cancer and isn't likely to live another year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22015175

I read my first culture novel as a young teen and loved it, Iain is a great writer :frown: such a tragedy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Always sad when someone relatively young and still creative becomes seriously ill.

So far I have read Consider Phlebas - which of his other books do you recommend?

The next Culture book, The Player Of Games, is one of my favourite books. All the early Culture books are brilliant. I've always intended to read the Wasp Factory as I've heard great things about it but never got round to it.

Ryan_m_b said:
The next Culture book, The Player Of Games, is one of my favourite books.

Sample on my Kindle.

Borek said:
Sample on my Kindle.

I would just go ahead and buy it; it is a wonderful book.

It's a shame he has terminal cancer. The unique situation with authors is that their work and influence lives long beyond their actual life, and I am sure that his works will continue to be appreciated and inspiring to many.

I have The Algebraist on my shelf but I haven't even begun to read it, such a shame he has cancer, best wishes to him and his family.

Sad this is the first thing I find to comment on after joining. I heard about his cancer shortly after he announced it. I hoped he would live longer. The Algebraist and The Hydrogen Sonata are amazing, but every book of his I have read has been at least great. Sad.

[tight beam, M32,tra. @n4.29.898.0002]
xEccentric Mentz114
oGSV(Continent) Iain M Banks
Terrible news, old ship. Condolences to family and friends. We'll miss you.

[itex]\infty[/itex]

Oh my god so sad.
I have read almost every single one of his books.
Consider phlebas and the wasp factory are my two favorites.
I actually forgot that he was the author of those two books.
What a shame. He was very talented. Now I'm sad

1. What type of cancer does Iain Banks have?

Iain Banks has been diagnosed with terminal gallbladder cancer, which is a rare and aggressive form of cancer that has a low survival rate.

2. When was Iain Banks diagnosed with cancer?

Iain Banks publicly announced his diagnosis in April 2013, stating that he had been diagnosed with cancer earlier that year.

3. How has Iain Banks' cancer diagnosis affected his writing?

Iain Banks has stated that his cancer diagnosis has led him to cancel all future public appearances and events, and that he will no longer be able to write any more books.

4. What is the prognosis for Iain Banks' cancer?

Iain Banks' cancer has been deemed terminal, meaning that it is not curable and will eventually lead to his death.

5. How has the literary community responded to Iain Banks' cancer diagnosis?

The literary community has shown an outpouring of support and admiration for Iain Banks, with many expressing their sadness and sending well wishes to the author and his family.