Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Author Iain Banks has terminal cancer

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Iain Banks author of The Wasp Factory, The Crow Road, Complicity and the Culture series has terminal cancer and isn't likely to live another year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22015175

I read my first culture novel as a young teen and loved it, Iain is a great writer :frown: such a tragedy.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2013 #2

Borek

Always sad when someone relatively young and still creative becomes seriously ill.

So far I have read Consider Phlebas - which of his other books do you recommend?

4. Apr 4, 2013 #3

Ryan_m_b

The next Culture book, The Player Of Games, is one of my favourite books. All the early Culture books are brilliant. I've always intended to read the Wasp Factory as I've heard great things about it but never got round to it.

5. Apr 4, 2013 #4

Borek

Sample on my Kindle.

6. Apr 5, 2013 #5
    I would just go ahead and buy it; it is a wonderful book.

It's a shame he has terminal cancer. The unique situation with authors is that their work and influence lives long beyond their actual life, and I am sure that his works will continue to be appreciated and inspiring to many.

7. Apr 26, 2013 #6
    I have The Algebraist on my shelf but I haven't even begun to read it, such a shame he has cancer, best wishes to him and his family.

8. Jun 10, 2013 #7

Borek

9. Jun 10, 2013 #8
    Sad this is the first thing I find to comment on after joining. I heard about his cancer shortly after he announced it. I hoped he would live longer. The Algebraist and The Hydrogen Sonata are amazing, but every book of his I have read has been at least great. Sad.

10. Jun 10, 2013 #9

Mentz114

Gold Member

[tight beam, M32,tra. @n4.29.898.0002]
    xEccentric Mentz114
    oGSV(Continent) Iain M Banks
    Terrible news, old ship. Condolences to family and friends. We'll miss you.

[itex]\infty[/itex]

11. Jul 16, 2013 #10
    Oh my god so sad.
    I have read almost every single one of his books.
    Consider phlebas and the wasp factory are my two favorites.
    I actually forgot that he was the author of those two books.
    What a shame. He was very talented. Now I'm sad

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook