Author Iain Banks has terminal cancer

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ryan_m_b
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cancer
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 5K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Messages
5,964
Reaction score
727
Iain Banks author of The Wasp Factory, The Crow Road, Complicity and the Culture series has terminal cancer and isn't likely to live another year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22015175

I read my first culture novel as a young teen and loved it, Iain is a great writer :frown: such a tragedy.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Always sad when someone relatively young and still creative becomes seriously ill.

So far I have read Consider Phlebas - which of his other books do you recommend?
 
The next Culture book, The Player Of Games, is one of my favourite books. All the early Culture books are brilliant. I've always intended to read the Wasp Factory as I've heard great things about it but never got round to it.
 
Ryan_m_b said:
The next Culture book, The Player Of Games, is one of my favourite books.

Sample on my Kindle.
 
Borek said:
Sample on my Kindle.

I would just go ahead and buy it; it is a wonderful book.

It's a shame he has terminal cancer. The unique situation with authors is that their work and influence lives long beyond their actual life, and I am sure that his works will continue to be appreciated and inspiring to many.
 
I have The Algebraist on my shelf but I haven't even begun to read it, such a shame he has cancer, best wishes to him and his family.
 
Sad this is the first thing I find to comment on after joining. I heard about his cancer shortly after he announced it. I hoped he would live longer. The Algebraist and The Hydrogen Sonata are amazing, but every book of his I have read has been at least great. Sad.
 
[tight beam, M32,tra. @n4.29.898.0002]
xEccentric Mentz114
oGSV(Continent) Iain M Banks
Terrible news, old ship. Condolences to family and friends. We'll miss you.

[itex]\infty[/itex]
 
Oh my god so sad.
I have read almost every single one of his books.
Consider phlebas and the wasp factory are my two favorites.
I actually forgot that he was the author of those two books.
What a shame. He was very talented. Now I'm sad