Autocorrelation and Spectral Density

In summary, the auto correlation function is:$$R_x (\tau) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} E(x(t) \cdot x(t+\tau)) d\tau$$The spectral density function is:$$S_x (\omega) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} R_x(\tau) \cdot e^{-i\omega \tau} \cdot \frac{1}{2\pi}d\tau$$
CivilSigma

Homework Statement

For a constant power signal x(t) = c, determine the auto correlation function and the spectral density function.

Homework Equations

The auto correlation function is:

$$R_x (\tau) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} E(x(t) \cdot x(t+\tau)) d\tau$$

To my understanding, here to find the expected value of the signal we must also multiply the function x(t)x(t+tau) by the probability function which is taken to be 1/period. Then, we change the integral limits to one period and get:

$$R_x (\tau) = \int_{-T/2}^{T/2} E(x(t) \cdot x(t+\tau)) \cdot \frac{1}{T} d\tau$$

Is my understanding of the auto-correlational function correct?

For the spectral density function :

$$S_x (\omega) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} R_x(\tau) \cdot e^{-i\omega \tau} \cdot \frac{1}{2\pi}d\tau$$

Here, we don't change the integral limits and consider all the possible values of tau.

The Attempt at a Solution

The auto-correlation is:

$$R_x (\tau) = \int_{-T/2}^{T/2} E(x(t) \cdot x(t+\tau)) \cdot \frac{1}{T} d\tau$$
$$R_x(\tau) = \int_{-T/2}^{T/2} c^2 \cdot \frac{1}{T} d\tau$$
$$R_x(\tau)=c^2$$

The spectral density is then:
$$S_x (\omega) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} R_x(\tau) \cdot e^{-i\omega \tau} \cdot \frac{1}{2\pi}d\tau$$
$$S_x (\omega) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} c^2 \cdot e^{-i\omega \tau} \cdot \frac{1}{2\pi}d\tau$$
$$S_x (\omega) = \frac{-c^2}{2\pi \cdot i \omega} \times (e^{-i \omega \tau})|_{-\infty}^{\infty}$$

$$S_x (\omega) = \frac{-c^2}{2\pi \cdot i \omega} \times (0 - \infty)=?$$

However, my lecture notes suggest that the answer is :
$$S_x(\omega) = c^2 \cdot \delta(t)$$How did they get to here? How is the Dirac function obtained from evaluating the integral? Moreover, what happened to the other constants such as 2pi, i and omega from my original solution? If someone can shed some light on this mystery I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
## \delta(x)=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int\limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{i kx} dk ##. This is a very well-known result. At the moment, I don't have a proof on my fingertips, but this is a very well-known result.

Likes CivilSigma
Charles Link said:
## \delta(x)=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int\limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{i kx} dk ##. This is a very well-known result. At the moment, I don't have a proof on my fingertips, but this is a very well-known result.

I found it on WikiPedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function but with no derivation. I had originally read the Wiki, but I guess I did not read it well the first time.

Likes Charles Link
I noticed that in the definition, the exponential is positive. However, in my problem the exponential is negative.

Can I then say that:

Dirac (-x) is the solution to my original problem?

But really, the negative is not necessary because the function is defined at x=0 and will approach infinity.

So, Dirac (-x) = Dirac (x) ?

Likes Charles Link
CivilSigma said:

Homework Statement

For a constant power signal x(t) = c, determine the auto correlation function and the spectral density function.

Homework Equations

Something funny here.
R has the dimensions of c2
So S has the dimensions of c2T
But the dimension of δ(t) is T-1.

First off, the answer for S is not as stated by the author. It should probably have read S = c2δ(ω). But that's still not exactly what I got.

You can derive this by using the fact (Wiener-Khintchine relation) that S is the Fourier integral of R, which you have already attempted.

The Fourier transform of c2 would be 2πc2δ(ω). So that's not the same as the answer either.

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
@rude man Thanks for pointing that out, that it should be ## \delta(\omega) ## rather than ## \delta(t) ##. I looked at it very quickly.

Charles Link said:
@rude man Thanks for pointing that out, that it should be ## \delta(\omega) ## rather than ## \delta(t) ##. I looked at it very quickly.
OK but I still didn't get their answer. Did you try it? BTW if anyone asked me to derive the Fourier transform of e-jω0(t-τ) I would just tell them what it is & they can convince themselves that the inverse transform of that is indeed e-jω0(t-τ)! :smile:

rude man said:
OK but I still didn't get their answer. Did you try it? BTW if anyone asked me to derive the Fourier transform of e-jω0(t-τ) I would just tell them what it is & they can convince themselves that the inverse transform of that is indeed e-jω0(t-τ)! :smile:
There are different conventions used in Fourier transforms for when the ## \frac{1}{2 \pi} ## is inserted. I normally insert this factor when doing the inverse transform, but here they inserted it when doing the primary transform. Some authors choose to make this symmetric and use ## \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} ## in both cases.

1. What is autocorrelation and how is it calculated?

Autocorrelation is a measure of the similarity between a signal and a delayed version of itself over a range of time lags. It is often used in time series analysis to determine if there is a pattern or trend in the data. Autocorrelation is calculated by taking the correlation coefficient between the signal and a delayed version of itself at different time lags.

2. What is the difference between autocorrelation and cross-correlation?

Autocorrelation measures the similarity between a signal and a delayed version of itself, while cross-correlation measures the similarity between two different signals. Autocorrelation is used to analyze the patterns and trends within a single signal, while cross-correlation is used to analyze the relationship between two signals.

3. What is the spectral density of a signal?

The spectral density of a signal is a measure of the power distribution of the signal over different frequencies. It shows how much of the signal's energy is contained within different frequency components. Spectral density is often used in signal processing and communication systems to analyze the frequency content of a signal.

4. How is the spectral density calculated?

The spectral density of a signal can be calculated using the Fourier transform. This involves taking the signal in the time domain and converting it into the frequency domain. The Fourier transform provides a representation of the signal in terms of its frequency components, and the spectral density can be obtained by taking the squared magnitude of the Fourier transform.

5. Why is autocorrelation and spectral density important in signal processing?

Autocorrelation and spectral density are important in signal processing because they provide valuable information about the characteristics of a signal. Autocorrelation can help identify patterns and trends in a signal, while spectral density can reveal the frequency components present in a signal. This information is useful in various applications such as noise reduction, filtering, and signal analysis.