Automotive chassis ground minus the chassis

In summary: OTOH, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you told me you got a small shock from small leakage currents. In light of the above, in a battery-supplied, stand-alone system the highest voltage is the output voltage, so there is no safety reason for a physical Ground; no matter what you get your hands across it can not be higher than the output voltage.
BigBambu 152-462 MHz
TL;DR Summary
Grounding to chassis required, but not possible for inverter installation.
I’ve installed an inverter, 12v to 120vac. The inverter has a post meant for grounding to the vehicle chassis. No chassis or other ground is available in this application for the inverter to recognize. I’ve homebrewed what amounts to half of a large capacitor. There’s just one “plate”, with the surface area in this arrangement at roughly 150 square feet. My questions being, 1) will it theoretically work, and B) am I going to get killed by it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You seem to be talking about a vehicle that is not made out of metal? What exactly is the application? Why are you mounting a 120V inverter on this whatever-it-is?

BigBambu 152-462 MHz said:
There’s just one “plate”
And your "plate" will produce 12 V with respect to what? Whatever it is, that is your ground.

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

You seem to be talking about a vehicle that is not made out of metal? What exactly is the application? Why are you mounting a 120V inverter on this whatever-it-is?
Hi, thanks for the interest. It’s part of a portable power supply, for beach camping & such. It’s on/in a big, fat-tire wagon.

Summary:: Grounding to chassis required, but not possible for inverter installation.

I’ve homebrewed what amounts to half of a large capacitor. There’s just one “plate”, with the surface area in this arrangement at roughly 150 square feet. My questions being, 1) will it theoretically work, and B) am I going to get killed by it?
What, exactly, is half of a capacitor? There's more in that formula than plate area. Anyway I can pretty confidently predict that whatever you built it's insignificant at the 50/60Hz frequencies you care about. You seem to be ignoring that discrete capacitors have two wires. Your homebrew version does too, although they may be really well disguised (like the dirt nearby). The question of where to connect your ground post is closely related to this.

Anyway, if you can, connect that ground to whatever the person that might be electrocuted is standing on. A long copper spike pounded into the ground is the favorite choice for houses and such, but probably doesn't make sense in your case. Instead, look at the specifications of the inverter. It must have something along the lines of double insulation or reinforced insulation, like the electric drill that only has two contacts on the power cord. I don't know if they'll tell you that, it may be (ought to be, IMO) a requirement for the safety standards (CE, UL, CSA, TUV, etc.) in which case they might not mention it. What does the operators/installation manual say about grounding?

I would connect it to any metal bits that someone who is trying to kill themselves may be touching and leave it at that. No, I wouldn't guess that you'll kill anybody. But then how would I know since I don't have any data about your parts and system design? OTOH, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you told me you got a small shock from small leakage currents.

Likes BigBambu 152-462 MHz
As I recall, in the USA, the National Electrical Code allows for a fully floating 120V supply that is fully isolated from the commercial power lines. The main reasons for the 120V commercial power to be grounded are user protection from lightning strikes, and capacitive coupling in, or failures of, the distributon transformer on the power pole. Those transformers have 16,000V volts on the primary side. (Not something you want sneaking into your house.)

In light of the above, in a battery-supplied, stand-alone system the highest voltage is the output voltage, so there is no safety reason for a physical Ground; no matter what you get your hands across it can not be higher than the output voltage.

Unfortunately someone 'borrowed' my copy of the code so I can not quote the specific section. Perhaps someone else here can look up the pertinent section.

Cheers,
Tom

DaveE said:
What, exactly, is half of a capacitor? There's more in that formula than plate area. Anyway I can pretty confidently predict that whatever you built it's insignificant at the 50/60Hz frequencies you care about. You seem to be ignoring that discrete capacitors have two wires. Your homebrew version does too, although they may be really well disguised (like the dirt nearby). The question of where to connect your ground post is closely related to this.

Anyway, if you can, connect that ground to whatever the person that might be electrocuted is standing on. A long copper spike pounded into the ground is the favorite choice for houses and such, but probably doesn't make sense in your case. Instead, look at the specifications of the inverter. It must have something along the lines of double insulation or reinforced insulation, like the electric drill that only has two contacts on the power cord. I don't know if they'll tell you that, it may be (ought to be, IMO) a requirement for the safety standards (CE, UL, CSA, TUV, etc.) in which case they might not mention it. What does the operators/installation manual say about grounding?

I would connect it to any metal bits that someone who is trying to kill themselves may be touching and leave it at that. No, I wouldn't guess that you'll kill anybody. But then how would I know since I don't have any data about your parts and system design? OTOH, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you told me you got a small shock from small leakage currents.
The comparison to a capacitor is but figurative, to establish my concept. The surface area is intended to mimic the surface area of a non-existent chassis, to convince the unit that it’s not mounted in a fat-tire wagon, on a beach. I’d like it to be happy, in its humble ignorance.

to convince the unit that it’s not mounted in a fat-tire wagon, on a beach.
It sounds like this is no different from a gas-powered generator in such a wagon, no? I would just read the safety manual from a typical generator to see how they handle the output ground connections to their multiple 3-prong AC Mains power outlets...

1628867176178.png

https://generatorpowersource.com/wheel-kits-for-portable-generators/

berkeman said:
It sounds like this is no different from a gas-powered generator in such a wagon, no? I would just read the safety manual from a typical generator to see how they handle the output ground connections to their multiple 3-prong AC Mains power outlets...

View attachment 287487
https://generatorpowersource.com/wheel-kits-for-portable-generators/
Thanks for your input. It’s a bit different (I think), in that the battery negative is the ground, in the absence of a sustantial chassis ground. I’m leery of creating a negative loop in the place of a true “chassis” and its accompanying surface area.

Theoretical situation: Take a vehicle, install your hardware as per instructions. Now start removing parts of the vehicle until all you have left is the conductive parts that connect your desired hardware. Now shrink that down to as small as possible. A metal framework that the holds your hardware in place and serves as a very highly modified vehicle chassis. I don't see a problem here.
-
This half capacitor business is nonsense.

The comparison to a capacitor is but figurative, to establish my concept. The surface area is intended to mimic the surface area of a non-existent chassis, to convince the unit that it’s not mounted in a fat-tire wagon, on a beach. I’d like it to be happy, in its humble ignorance.
Unnecessary. It would be happy with no ground connection.

DaveE said:
Unnecessary. It would be happy with no ground connection.
Thanks, Dave. I appreciate it

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate it
Averagesupernova said:
Theoretical situation: Take a vehicle, install your hardware as per instructions. Now start removing parts of the vehicle until all you have left is the conductive parts that connect your desired hardware. Now shrink that down to as small as possible. A metal framework that the holds your hardware in place and serves as a very highly modified vehicle chassis. I don't see a problem here.
-
This half capacitor business is nonsense.
Thanks, it sounds like I’ve stepped into the Rube Goldberg side

jack action said:
And your "plate" will produce 12 V with respect to what? Whatever it is, that is your ground.
Thanks, Jack… sorry for the lagtime. The plate is attached to what little frame there is, with a single, soldered 10ga ring terminal, so my thinking was/is that it’s now just mimicking a much larger frame, in the event the inverter would function better than just connecting the device ground to the batter negative, in a barely roundabout way. My understanding is that there are some fairly dangerous voltages bouncing around within the inverter. What part a physical vehicle chassis, acting as an already virtual ground plays in the switches doing their 120vac thing is unknown to me, but the manual says I need one. I think my solution is better than relying on a fat-tire wagon to mimic the ideal ground of not even a vehicle, but a proper rod in the Earth.

Personally, I have trouble following what you are saying. You do not use terminology that I'm used to.

So you should share a wiring diagram to make sure we understand each other.

Normally, you should have a power source, usually a battery with +ve and -ve pole, but I guess it could be a capacitor, but I'm not an expert at this. As long as it produces 12 V between the +ve and -ve poles. The -ve side is usually connected to a vehicle frame, making the frame the "ground". You then connect the inverted 12 V +ve lead to the +ve pole of the power source and the 12 V -ve lead to the "ground", i.e. the vehicle frame.

If it is not a vehicle, the "ground" can be anything. It doesn't even have to exist at all, i.e. the inverter can be connected directly to the +ve and -ve poles of the battery. It is possible that the inverter casing needs to be connected to the ground as well (in such a case, usually it would require the casing to be bolted to the frame, i.e. the "ground"), check the instructions.

1. What is automotive chassis ground minus the chassis?

Automotive chassis ground minus the chassis refers to the electrical connection of the vehicle's electrical system to the earth or ground. It is the reference point for all electrical components in the car.

2. Why is chassis ground important in a vehicle?

Chassis ground is important in a vehicle because it provides a path for electrical current to flow back to the battery and prevents electrical shocks. It also helps stabilize the voltage in the car's electrical system.

3. How is chassis ground connected in a vehicle?

In most vehicles, the chassis ground is connected to the negative terminal of the battery. It can also be connected to a designated grounding point on the vehicle's body or frame. Some newer vehicles may use a separate grounding wire that connects directly to the chassis.

4. What happens if the chassis ground is not connected properly?

If the chassis ground is not connected properly, it can cause various electrical issues in the vehicle. This can include malfunctioning of electrical components, dimming of lights, and even damage to the vehicle's electronic systems.

5. Can the chassis ground be tested or checked?

Yes, the chassis ground can be tested or checked using a multimeter. Simply set the multimeter to the resistance or continuity mode and touch one probe to the chassis ground and the other to a known ground point. If there is a reading, it means the chassis ground is properly connected.