Average force during a ball's elastic bounce off of a plate

In summary: Delta p divided by delta t to get average acceleration. Multiply by mass to get average net force. Then just one more...
Apashanka

Homework Statement

IMG_20181210_185639.jpg
[/B]

Homework Equations

For this problem I have calculated the average force as ∫ Fdt/ ∫dt
And using a(acceleration)=2h(height)/t2 and calculating the numerator it comes out -2m(mass)h/t ,but what will be the limit of the intergral in that case ??
Of course the denominator will be ∫dt =0.5 sec.
Thank you

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20181210_185639.jpg
    IMG_20181210_185639.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 643
Physics news on Phys.org
To answer your question: from before the collision until after the collision -- same as for the denominator.
But actually you calculated (I hope) ##\int F\; dt## using ##F = {dp\over dt} ## as ##\int dp = \Delta p##

BvU said:
To answer your question: from before the collision until after the collision -- same as for the denominator.
But actually you calculated (I hope) ##\int F\; dt## using ##F = {dp\over dt} ## as ##\int dp = \Delta p##
I have obtained F(force)=f(t) and then intergrate it as ∫ f(t) dt ,but does not know how to use the limit .

Apashanka said:
I have obtained F(force)=f(t) and then intergrate it as ∫ f(t) dt ,but does not know how to use the limit .
As @BvU points out, you do not need to integrate the the force over the interval of interest to obtain the change in momentum over the interval of interest. You can determine the change in momentum directly: ##\Delta p = p_f - p_i##.

You say that:
Apashanka said:
a(acceleration)=2h(height)/t2 and calculating the numerator it comes out -2m(mass)h/t
Can you provide details? What is "a" here, what is "h" here, what is "t" here, what are you calculating and how are you justifying it?

jbriggs444 said:
As @BvU points out, you do not need to integrate the the force over the interval of interest to obtain the change in momentum over the interval of interest. You can determine the change in momentum directly: ##\Delta p = p_f - p_i##.

You say that:

Can you provide details? What is "a" here, what is "h" here, what is "t" here, what are you calculating and how are you justifying it?

I have taken the acceleration from Newton's equation to be 2h(t)/t2 since initial velocity is 0 where h(t) is distance traveled from the intial point of dropping after time t.
So in calculating the intergral ∫F(t)dt ,Previously I have taken the term h(t) outside the intergral which couldn't be.
So calculating ∫2mh(t)/t2 over dt is now become more complicated .
But Δp can be calculated but if given after bouncing off elastically how much height it gains ,then the final momentum can be calculated
For which the avg force becomes Δp/.5sec

Apashanka said:
I have taken the acceleration from Newton's equation to be 2h(t)/t2 since initial velocity is 0 where h(t) is distance traveled from the intial point of dropping after time t.
So "h" is the distance below the drop point and "t" is the time since the drop. And you are computing acceleration as 2h(t)/t.

That is incorrect. The units do not even work out correctly. If you divide a distance by a time you get a result with units of a velocity.

You seem to be using ##s=tv_{avg}=t\frac{h(t)}{2}## and, hence, ##v_{avg}=\frac{2h(t)}{t}##

I got it now it is 2pi where pi initial momentum imparted on the plate and calculating it 2pi/.5sec the ans is 4N
jbriggs444 said:
h" is the distance below the drop point and "t" is the time since the drop. And you are computing acceleration as 2h(t)/t.
It's t2 in the denominator from Newton's 3rd equation of motion

Likes jbriggs444
Don't know how I missed seeing the square. So yes, dimensionally, ##2\frac{h(t)}{t^2}## comes out right. But without knowing t, that does not allow you to calculate a momentum.

BvU said:
Thanks sir .
I am initially going through so much of complicated works .

jbriggs444 said:
Don't know how I missed seeing the square. So yes, dimensionally, ##2\frac{h(t)}{t^2}## comes out right. But without knowing t, that does not allow you to calculate a momentum.
jbriggs444 said:
The final velocity before hitting the plate can be calculated now and hence momentum ,for elastic collision momentum conservation also gives the final momentum after hitting .

Apashanka said:
The final velocity before hitting the plate can be calculated now and hence momentum ,for elastic collision momentum conservation also gives the final momentum after hitting .
Yes, of course. PE at start => KE at impact => velocity at impact => momentum at impact. KE at impact => KE after rebound => velocity after rebound => momentum after rebound. Delta p divided by delta t to get average acceleration. Multiply by mass to get average net force. Then just one more tweak.

Alternate method:

Collision impulse for perfectly elastic collision: $$Δp = 2mΔv$$ with $$Δv=\sqrt{2gh}$$ Just divide by Δt for the force.

What is the definition of average force during a ball's elastic bounce off of a plate?

The average force during a ball's elastic bounce off of a plate is the amount of force exerted by the ball on the plate during the entire bouncing motion. It is calculated by dividing the change in momentum of the ball by the time it takes for the ball to complete the bounce.

How is the average force during a ball's elastic bounce off of a plate calculated?

The average force during a ball's elastic bounce off of a plate is calculated by dividing the change in momentum of the ball by the time it takes for the ball to complete the bounce. This can be expressed as F = (mv - mu)/t, where F is the average force, m is the mass of the ball, v is the final velocity of the ball, u is the initial velocity of the ball, and t is the time taken for the bounce.

How does the elasticity of the ball and plate affect the average force during the bounce?

The elasticity of the ball and plate plays a major role in determining the average force during the bounce. A more elastic ball and plate will result in a smaller average force, as the energy is conserved and less force is required to bounce the ball back to its initial height. On the other hand, a less elastic ball and plate will result in a larger average force, as more energy is lost during the bounce and more force is needed to bring the ball back to its initial height.

Does the height of the bounce affect the average force during a ball's elastic bounce off of a plate?

Yes, the height of the bounce does affect the average force during a ball's elastic bounce off of a plate. The higher the ball bounces, the longer the time taken for the bounce and the smaller the average force. This is because the energy is conserved and the ball needs less force to reach a higher height. Conversely, a lower bounce will result in a larger average force, as more energy is lost during the bounce and more force is needed to bring the ball back to its initial height.

What are the real-world applications of understanding the average force during a ball's elastic bounce off of a plate?

Understanding the average force during a ball's elastic bounce off of a plate has many real-world applications. It is crucial in sports such as basketball, tennis, and golf, where the bounce of a ball off a surface plays a significant role in the game. It is also important in engineering, as it helps in designing materials and structures that can withstand repeated impacts. Additionally, understanding the average force during a bounce can aid in the development of safer and more efficient transportation systems, such as vehicle suspensions and shock absorbers.