1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average force exerted on ball by wall at angle

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a 8kg steel ball strikes a wall with a speed of 11.7 m/s at an angle of 35.3 degrees with the normal to the wall. it bounces off with the same speed and angle as shown in the picture.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7733/asdfkf7.jpg

If the ball is in contact with the wall for 0.297 seconds, what is the magnitude of the average force exerted on the ball by the wall? Answer in N

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ft = mv
    F(0.297) = 8 * 11.7
    F = 315.15 kg* m/s^2 or N but thats if its a linear problem

Angle wise

Horizontal speed of 11.7 m/s
    Cos 35.3 = x / 11.7
    x = 9.549 m/s

Extra info
    Vertical speed of 11.7 m/s
    sin 35.3 = y / 11.7
    y = 6.761 m/s

Ft = mv
    F(0.297) = 8 * 9.549 m/s
    F = 257.2069 N

is that right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Be careful here. Note that in the y direction, the y-component of velocity does not change. On the other hand, the x-component of velocity does change, in direction, but not in magnitude. The magnitudes in the x- and y- directions are correct.

4. Nov 26, 2007 #3
    Does it matter if I include the y direction in the equation? Would I need to make two equations one going toward the wall and another going away? But then if I equal to them wouldn't it be zero?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?