What is the average speed of a particle with given position and time data?

In summary: When v = 0 lies in the interval -5.06+6.10t=0t=5.06/6.10 which lies in the interval so you make the integral negative.
Casimi

Homework Statement

The position of a particle as a function of time is given by x = (-5.06 m/s)t + (3.05 m/s2)t2. Calculate the average velocity of the particle from t = 0 to t = 1.20 s.
-1.40 m/s (this is correct, from my calculations)

2nd part: Calculate the average speed from t = 0 to t = 1.20 s

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried this for hours and cannot arrive at the correct answer for the second part. I tried taking the total distance and dividing by the total time. Could someone please point me in the right direction to find average speed? I have even tried differentiation.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
you can differentiate to get the velocity then take the integral of its absolute value then divide it by time

I tried that but I am still not arriving at the correct answer. I arrive at a number far larger than it should be.

I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

did you make sure to separate it into two integral when you integrated the absolute value one negative and one positive?

(-5.06+6.10t) - that is my answer after differentiating. Integrating the absolute value, I have 5.06t+3.05t^2 with integral limits of 0 to 1.20. When I put the values in the integral, I get 9.456 and when divided by 1.2, I get 7.88 which is not the correct answer.

I am saying as integral the absolute value
you must know if when v = 0 lies in your interval
-5.06+6.10t=0
t=5.06/6.10 this lies in the interval so you make the integral negative here and positive from it to 1.2

Yes, I tried that and am still not arriving at the right answer. 5.06/6.10 will give .82. If I integrate from -5.06t+3.05t^2 [0 to .82] + 5.06t+3.05t^2 [.82 to 1.2] I am still going to get :
5.06t +3.05t^2 [0 to 1.2]? Please help me out.

what you do is get the integral from 0 to .82 (5.06-6.1t)dt
+ the integral from .82 to 1.2 (-5.06 +6.1t)dt

I came up with 2.51m/s but it is still showing as incorrect. Is this the solution that you arrived at?

did you divide it by the time?

Thank you! You just saved my grade!

What is the definition of average speed of a particle?

The average speed of a particle is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken to travel that distance. It is a measure of the overall speed of a particle over a certain period of time.

How is average speed of a particle different from instantaneous speed?

Instantaneous speed refers to the speed of a particle at a specific moment in time, while average speed takes into account the entire duration of the particle's motion.

What units are used to measure average speed of a particle?

The most commonly used units for average speed of a particle are meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). However, any unit of distance over time can be used as long as they are consistent.

Can the average speed of a particle be negative?

Yes, the average speed of a particle can be negative if the particle is traveling in the opposite direction of a chosen reference point. For example, if a particle moves 10 meters east and then 5 meters west, its average speed would be negative since the net displacement is -5 meters.

How is average speed of a particle related to velocity?

While average speed is a scalar quantity, velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account the speed and direction of a particle. Average speed is the magnitude of the average velocity vector.