Average total energy of electron and proton in isolated hydrogen atom

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
dirtyd33
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
I wanted to know the average total energies of an isolated hydrogen atom's electron and proton separately. I came across a lot of equations I could try to use, but I figured I'd ask to see if this information has already been approximated.
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean "average total energies"? As free particles, all they have is kinetic energy, which is whatever you want it to be, since it depends on your inertial frame of reference.

The ground-state energy of hydrogen, which is relative two stationary, infinitely separated particles, is -13.6 eV.
 
What I meant was, if there was a single stable proton-electron pair (in a ground state), then what would the total energy of the electron (meaning kinetic, rest mass, magnetic field, etc.) and likewise for the proton.