Average value for the squared momentum in the harmonic oscillator

In summary: As far as I can tell, the average value of x doesn't appear in any of the integrals. This might be a sign that the harmonic oscillator is in a state where it can't produce any more energy.I'm not sure what you're asking. Can you please clarify?The average value of x doesn't appear in any of the integrals. This might be a sign that the harmonic oscillator is in a state where it can't produce any more energy.
davijcanton
Hi,

I'm trying to resolve a problem (17-2) of Pauling's book (Introduction to Quantum Mechanics ), but I'm not achieving this integration. So, I ask for your help. The problem says:

Calculate [itex]\overline{p_{z}²}[/itex] (where p[itex]_{z}[/itex] = momentum in z direction and [itex]\overline{x}[/itex] = average value of x for example) for a harmonic oscillator (in cylindrical coordinates) in a state ( n',m,n[itex]_{z}[/itex] ) represented by:

[itex]\Psi_{n',m,n_{z}}[/itex]([itex]\rho[/itex],[itex]\varphi[/itex],z) = N e[itex]^{im\varphi}[/itex] e[itex]^{-\alpha\rho²/2 }[/itex] F[itex]_{|m|,n'}[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{\alpha}[/itex] [itex]\rho[/itex]) e[itex]^{-\alpha_{z}z²/2}[/itex] H[itex]_{nz}[/itex] ([itex]\sqrt{\alpha_{z}}[/itex] z)​

where:
N = const

[itex]\alpha[/itex] = cost = 4[itex]\pi[/itex]²*mass/h² * (freq[itex]_{0}[/itex])

[itex]\alpha[/itex]z = cost = 4[itex]\pi[/itex]²*mass/h * (freq[itex]_{z}[/itex])

H[itex]_{nz}[/itex] = zn Hermite polynomial

F(k) = finite polynomial in k[itex]^{|m|}[/itex] I think this polynomial don't have larger influence in the result.

Thenks in advance.
See you soon,

Davis​

Physics news on Phys.org
We're not here to do the problem for you. We're here to help you solve the problem, so show us how far you've gotten so far.

Well. I've gotten one sum of three integrals. Say:
1º [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/itex] A e[itex]^{\alpha_{z}z²}[/itex] H[itex]_{n_{z}}[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{\alpha_{z}}[/itex] z) H[itex]_{n_{z}}[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{\alpha_{z}}[/itex] z)([itex]\alpha_{z}[/itex]-[itex]\alpha_{z}[/itex]²z²) dz

2º [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/itex] -4n[itex]_{z}[/itex][itex]\alpha_{z}[/itex]A e[itex]^{\alpha_{z}z²}[/itex] z H[itex]_{n_{z}}[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{\alpha_{z}}[/itex] z) H[itex]_{n-1}[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{\alpha_{z}}[/itex] z) dz

3º [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/itex] 2n[itex]_{z}[/itex](n[itex]_{z}[/itex]-1) e[itex]^{\alpha_{z}z²}[/itex] H[itex]_{n_{z}}[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{\alpha_{z}}[/itex] z) H[itex]_{n_{z}-2}[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{\alpha_{z}}[/itex] z) dz

In fact, I would like to know if I got this rightly and how can I resolve that.

Use the recurrence relations the Hermite polynomials satisfy to eliminate the factors of z, and then use the orthogonality of the polynomials to evaluate the integrals.

In this case, is it normal the average value for x and for p vanish?

What do you think? Is that what you'd expect physically?

1. What is the average value for the squared momentum in the harmonic oscillator?

The average value for the squared momentum in the harmonic oscillator is equal to the energy of the oscillator divided by the angular frequency.

2. How is the average value for the squared momentum related to the energy of the harmonic oscillator?

The average value for the squared momentum is directly proportional to the energy of the harmonic oscillator. This means that as the energy increases, the average value for the squared momentum also increases.

3. Can the average value for the squared momentum be negative?

No, the average value for the squared momentum cannot be negative. This is because momentum is a vector quantity and the squared momentum is always positive, regardless of the direction of the momentum.

4. How does the average value for the squared momentum change as the angular frequency of the oscillator increases?

The average value for the squared momentum increases as the angular frequency of the oscillator increases. This is because the energy of the oscillator increases with the angular frequency, and the average value for the squared momentum is directly proportional to the energy.

5. Is the average value for the squared momentum constant in the harmonic oscillator?

No, the average value for the squared momentum is not constant in the harmonic oscillator. It fluctuates between zero and a maximum value, depending on the position of the oscillator in its motion. However, the average value for the squared momentum remains the same for a given energy and angular frequency of the oscillator.