1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average value for the squared momentum in the harmonic oscillator

1. Aug 30, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to resolve a problem (17-2) of Pauling's book (Introduction to Quantum Mechanics ), but I'm not achieving this integration. So, I ask for your help. The problem says:

Calculate [itex]\overline{p_{z}²}[/itex] (where p[itex]_{z}[/itex] = momentum in z direction and [itex]\overline{x}[/itex] = average value of x for example) for a harmonic oscillator (in cylindrical coordinates) in a state ( n',m,n[itex]_{z}[/itex] ) represented by:

[itex]\Psi_{n',m,n_{z}}[/itex]([itex]\rho[/itex],[itex]\varphi[/itex],z) = N e[itex]^{im\varphi}[/itex] e[itex]^{-\alpha\rho²/2 }[/itex] F[itex]_{|m|,n'}[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{\alpha}[/itex] [itex]\rho[/itex]) e[itex]^{-\alpha_{z}z²/2}[/itex] H[itex]_{nz}[/itex] ([itex]\sqrt{\alpha_{z}}[/itex] z)​

where:
    N = const

[itex]\alpha[/itex] = cost = 4[itex]\pi[/itex]²*mass/h² * (freq[itex]_{0}[/itex])

[itex]\alpha[/itex]z = cost = 4[itex]\pi[/itex]²*mass/h * (freq[itex]_{z}[/itex])

H[itex]_{nz}[/itex] = zn Hermite polynomial

F(k) = finite polynomial in k[itex]^{|m|}[/itex] I think this polynomial don't have larger influence in the result.

Thenks in advance.
    See you soon,

Davis​

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

We're not here to do the problem for you. We're here to help you solve the problem, so show us how far you've gotten so far.

4. Aug 31, 2011 #3
    Well. I've gotten one sum of three integrals. Say:
    1º [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/itex] A e[itex]^{\alpha_{z}z²}[/itex] H[itex]_{n_{z}}[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{\alpha_{z}}[/itex] z) H[itex]_{n_{z}}[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{\alpha_{z}}[/itex] z)([itex]\alpha_{z}[/itex]-[itex]\alpha_{z}[/itex]²z²) dz

2º [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/itex] -4n[itex]_{z}[/itex][itex]\alpha_{z}[/itex]A e[itex]^{\alpha_{z}z²}[/itex] z H[itex]_{n_{z}}[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{\alpha_{z}}[/itex] z) H[itex]_{n-1}[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{\alpha_{z}}[/itex] z) dz

3º [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/itex] 2n[itex]_{z}[/itex](n[itex]_{z}[/itex]-1) e[itex]^{\alpha_{z}z²}[/itex] H[itex]_{n_{z}}[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{\alpha_{z}}[/itex] z) H[itex]_{n_{z}-2}[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{\alpha_{z}}[/itex] z) dz

In fact, I would like to know if I got this rightly and how can I resolve that.

5. Aug 31, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Use the recurrence relations the Hermite polynomials satisfy to eliminate the factors of z, and then use the orthogonality of the polynomials to evaluate the integrals.

6. Aug 31, 2011 #5
    In this case, is it normal the average value for x and for p vanish?

7. Aug 31, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What do you think? Is that what you'd expect physically?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook