Average Velocity of a particle moving in a circle over a given interval

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 8K views
IAmPat
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



5Cyrk.png

Homework Equations



d = 2.5
c = pi*d = 7.854
velocity/s ?= c * 2 = 15.7079

The Attempt at a Solution


Since PR is 1/4 of the circle and the particle moves around the circle 2 times per second, I thought the average velocity would be 1/8th of the velocity that it's traveling. I'm really confused on this one.

EDIT: I only need to solve for (a), that's why I only have data pertaining to that. Not worried about B and C, but any intuition on those is welcome.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zhermes said:
What is the definition of average velocity?

The change in x over time. The change in X is -1.25 right? and the time is 1/8 of a second... .125

dx/dt = -1.25/.125 = 10?

I'm not following
 
If someone were to show you two snapshots, the first showing the particle at P at time zero, and the second at point R at a time 1/8 second later, and you had no idea about the circular course, or what path the particle took to get from P to R, how would you go about finding the average velocity?
 
IAmPat said:
The change in x over time. The change in X is -1.25 right? and the time is 1/8 of a second... .125

Why just x?
 
gneill said:
Why just x?

What do you mean why just x?

The change in x is -1.25 and the change in time is 0.125 seconds, right?
 
IAmPat said:
What do you mean why just x?

The change in x is -1.25 and the change in time is 0.125 seconds, right?

So the particle didn't move along the circular path, but instead traveled a straight line along the x-axis and ended up at the origin? Is point R at the origin?
 
gneill said:
So the particle didn't move along the circular path, but instead traveled a straight line along the x-axis and ended up at the origin? Is point R at the origin?

It's at Y=1.25 and X=0. If I were to draw a straight line from P to R, the angles would be 45, 90 and 45 right? and the equation for the line would be:

1.25^2 + 1.25^2 = C^2
1.5625 + 1.5625 = C^2
3.125 = C^2
C = 1.767767

So ... The vector is (1.767767, 135 degrees)?
 
Last edited:
Okay! So you've got a distance vector. That gives you the displacement (magnitude of the vector) and the direction. Apparently the displacement happened in 1/8 second. So what's the average velocity vector?
 
gneill said:
Okay! So you've got a distance vector. That gives you the displacement (magnitude of the vector) and the direction. Apparently the displacement happened in 1/8 second. So what's the average velocity vector?

So if the displacement is 1.767767 and happened in 1/8th. I assume I multiply the displacement by 8 to get the velocity per second...

So 14.1421 m/s?
 
Yup!

Remember though, that velocity is a vector. So you want to retain the angle information in your answer.
 
gneill said:
Yup!

Remember though, that velocity is a vector. So you want to retain the angle information in your answer.

Awesome. Your socratic method of teaching pissed me off to no end but it worked, and I'm very thankful for your help :-p
 
IAmPat said:
Awesome. Your socratic method of teaching pissed me off to no end but it worked, and I'm very thankful for your help :-p

Heh. Bet you'll remember how to find the average velocity though!

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!