Average velocity problem~From Jay Orear book.

In summary, when considering the distance x1 and x2 as weighting factors, the average velocity of a car that travels a distance of x1 with velocity v1 and then a distance of x2 with velocity v2 is calculated by multiplying each velocity by its respective distance and summing them, then dividing by the sum of the distances. This is known as the weighted average velocity and is used in the field of Hydrodynamics.
Biggy_G

Homework Statement

Car passes distance x1 with velocity v1
further it passes distance x2 with velocity v2. Find average velocity (averaged by distance), at that consider x1 and x2 as weighting factors.

Homework Equations

Vaverage=(v1t1+v2t2)/(t1+t2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used substitution t=x/v and replaced t's in the formula and tried to simplify, but couldn't get correct answer.

I will be grateful for anyone's help.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Biggy_G said:
Find average velocity (averaged by distance), at that consider x1 and x2 as weighting factors.

What do you mean by weighting factors?

Other than that averge vel=(v1*t1+v2*t2)/t1+t2 doesn't seem wrong from any angle...

Biggy_G said:

Homework Statement

Car passes distance x1 with velocity v1
further it passes distance x2 with velocity v2. Find average velocity (averaged by distance), at that consider x1 and x2 as weighting factors.

Homework Equations

Vaverage=(v1t1+v2t2)/(t1+t2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used substitution t=x/v and replaced t's in the formula and tried to simplify, but couldn't get correct answer.

I will be grateful for anyone's help.
Thanks

If they want the velocity averaged by distance, then the distances become the weighting factors (so that more "weight" is given to longer distance stretches in the figuring of an average). Multiply each velocity by its "weighting factor" (which is the distance that it traveled at that speed), sum them up, and divide by the sum of the weights.

Frankly Gneill i did not exactly get you...
I have done some physics but have never come across this term "weighing factors" and i always thought that average velocity is always total displacement by total time...
Ok i will search this term up in google and then i will try and get back to you...

Thanks gentlemen for replies,
The thing is I found this problem in Jay Orear's book. Chapter 2 Excercise 5. I am reading the book in Russian and I think that I translated Weighting Factor correctly. When they say Average velocity, mostly authors mean Velocity averaged by time. However, as they say, weighted by distance average velocity is used in Hydrodynamics.

gneill said:
If they want the velocity averaged by distance, then the distances become the weighting factors (so that more "weight" is given to longer distance stretches in the figuring of an average). Multiply each velocity by its "weighting factor" (which is the distance that it traveled at that speed), sum them up, and divide by the sum of the weights.

Exactly Correct answer :) Thanks

1. What is the formula for calculating average velocity?

The formula for average velocity is displacement divided by time, or v = Δx / Δt.

2. How do you interpret a negative average velocity?

A negative average velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if the chosen positive direction is to the right, a negative average velocity means the object is moving to the left.

3. Can the average velocity be greater than the instantaneous velocity?

No, the average velocity is always equal to the total displacement divided by the total time, while the instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. The average velocity is an overall measurement, while the instantaneous velocity is a specific measurement.

4. How do you calculate average velocity from a position vs. time graph?

To calculate average velocity from a position vs. time graph, find the slope of the line connecting the initial and final position points on the graph. This slope represents the average velocity.

5. Can you have a negative average velocity and a positive displacement?

Yes, it is possible to have a negative average velocity and a positive displacement. This means that the object traveled in the negative direction for some time, but overall ended up with a positive displacement. For example, if an object initially moves to the left and then turns around and moves to the right, it will have a negative average velocity but a positive displacement.