Axially Loaded Members Question

• Thread starter mneox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary, the person is attempting to solve a problem and has 80% of the work done, but is struggling with incorporating the angle θ=3° into their equation. They have found all the unknowns and used similar triangles to solve for when the bar is pulled down. They are seeking help on how to set up an equation using the maximum angle. A hint is provided involving the sine function.
mneox

Homework Statement

dfdjcj.jpg

So I'm trying to do this problem right now. For the most part, I feel like I have 80% of the work done (in terms of finding certain unknowns etc) but I have no idea how to incorporate the θ=3°. What I mean is, what kind of equation can I set up that includes the angle in it? Apparently you don't need trig or anything, so I am a bit lost.

Homework Equations

ƩMb = 0; FA(a) + FD(b) - P(c) = 0
F = kΔ
ΔD/b = ΔA/a (I used similar triangles to achieve this for when the bar will be pulled down)

The Attempt at a Solution

At the moment, I have found all the unknowns such as the reaction and spring forces etc. I think I am on the right track, but I just have no idea how I can set up an equation using the maximum angle.

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint 1: sin(3 deg) = delta_A/a; but delta_A = F_A/k1.

1. What is an axially loaded member?

An axially loaded member is a structural element that experiences loads only in the direction of its longitudinal axis. This means that the load is applied along the length of the member, causing tension or compression forces.

2. What are some common examples of axially loaded members?

Some common examples of axially loaded members include columns, beams, and rods. These types of structural elements are commonly used in buildings, bridges, and other structures to support and transfer loads.

3. How is the load carried in an axially loaded member?

The load in an axially loaded member is carried primarily through tension or compression forces. In a tension member, the load is carried by the stretching of the material, while in a compression member, the load is carried by the compressing of the material.

4. What are the main factors that affect the strength of an axially loaded member?

The main factors that affect the strength of an axially loaded member include the material properties, cross-sectional area, length, and end conditions of the member. These factors determine the ability of the member to resist tensile or compressive forces without failure.

5. How is the strength of an axially loaded member calculated?

The strength of an axially loaded member can be calculated using various methods, such as the Euler buckling equation, the axial stress formula, or by using design codes and standards. It is important to consider all the factors that affect the strength of the member in order to accurately determine its capacity.